Social media giant, Facebook, has banned former President of the United States, Donald Trump, from its platform for two years for inciting the January 6 Capitol Riot.
The ban was disclosed in a statement released on Facebook's blog post on Friday after the company's oversight board previously suspended the ex-president in January.
According to Metro UK, Facebook said it would decide 'whether the risk to public safety has receded' by consulting with experts at the end of the two-year suspension.
A statement by Nick Clegg, Facebook's vice president on global affairs read: "Given the gravity of the circumstances that led to Mr Trump's suspension, we believe his actions constituted a severe violation of our rules which merit the highest penalty available under the new enforcement protocols."
"We are suspending his accounts for two years, effective from the date of the initial suspension on January 7 this year.'
"We will evaluate external factors, including instances of violence, restrictions on peaceful assembly and other markers of civil unrest."
"If we determine that there is still a serious risk to public safety, we will extend the restriction for a set period of time and continue to re-evaluate until that risk has receded."
The post continues "when the suspension is eventually lifted, there will be a strict set of rapidly escalating sanctions that will be triggered if Mr Trump commits further violations in future."
It said the sanctions include the permanent removal of his accounts and pages.