Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Advertise With Us
WuzupNigeria
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Economy
  • Health
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Videos
Just In
Tinubu never removed subsidy, he only increased fuel price – SDP’s Adebayo
I slept in a friend’s parlour for 18 months before making it, Deyemi Okanlawon
Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star
Presidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law
PHOTOS: Mr Eazi, Temi Otedola announce first pregnancy
Lagos school owner gets life jail for defiling six-year-old pupil
What to know about JAMB Registrar, Prof. Segun Aina
VIDEO: 𝗣𝗼𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗺𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝗼𝗻 𝗱𝘂𝘁𝘆
Anambra targets agro-industrialisation, forex earnings for farmers
Tinubu appoints 39-year-old professor as new JAMB registrar
WuzupNigeriaWuzupNigeria
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Economy
  • Health
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Economy
  • Health
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Videos

Search

Upgrade to FOXIZ today and take advantage of these fantastic updates!
Learn More

Latest Stories

Bola Tinubu
Tinubu never removed subsidy, he only increased fuel price – SDP’s Adebayo
Deyemi Okanlawon
I slept in a friend’s parlour for 18 months before making it, Deyemi Okanlawon
Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star
Presidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law
PHOTOS: Mr Eazi, Temi Otedola announce first pregnancy

Socials

Follow US
© WuzupNigeria. All Rights Reserved.
Home » General » Indian PM Modi shuts Weibo account after banning Chinese apps
General

Indian PM Modi shuts Weibo account after banning Chinese apps

Last updated: July 2, 2020 2:00 pm
Irobosa Osazuwa
By Irobosa Osazuwa
6 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has deleted his account on Sina Weibo, China’s answer to Twitter, an Indian government source and the company said, as tensions between the two countries continue to simmer over a border skirmish.

Since posting on Sina Weibo the first time in 2015 during a visit to China, Modi has been an infrequent user of the Chinese social media platform.

He had more than 200,000 followers and 100 posts before the account were shut.

Sina Weibo announced the closure of the account late on Wednesday and the removal comes a few days after India banned dozens of Chinese apps, including Sina Weibo and ByteDance’s TikTok, following the border clash between the two nations.

An Indian government source told Reuters on Thursday that it took time to get Modi’s account taken down.

“For VIP accounts, Weibo has a more complex procedure to quit which is why the official process was initiated.

For reasons best known to the Chinese, there was great delay in granting this basic permission,” the source said.

India lost 20 soldiers in the clash last month at the disputed Himalayan border in what it said was a premeditated attack by Chinese troops.

Beijing rejected the allegations and blamed frontline Indian troops for crossing into its side of undemarcated border.

Modi was among a handful of foreign leaders with a Weibo account.

Notably, he revealed the birth dates of both Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang by wishing them “Happy Birthday” on Weibo.

The birth dates of senior leaders in China are usually not revealed publicly.

Chinese leaders are rarely active on social media. Foreign social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter are blocked in China.

The Indian source said all of Modi’s posts on Weibo had been deleted except for two showing pictures of him with Xi. “On Weibo, it is difficult to remove posts with the photo of their president,” the source said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

TAGGED:ChinaIndian prime ministerNarendra ModiTwitterWeibo account
Share This Article
Flipboard Copy Link

RELATED NEWS

China confirms agreement to purchase 200 Boeing aircraft

By Christian George
2 days ago
Chip factory expansion: Samsung sends 300 more workers to China

Global memory chip boom may cool by 2028 – Samsung adviser

By Christian George
2 days ago

Russia courts China for energy lifeline as Xi, Putin meet in Beijing

By Christian George
2 days ago

Trump concludes China visit after high-stakes talks with Xi Jinping

By Christian George
7 days ago
WuzupNigeria

Made by ThemeRuby using the Foxiz theme. Powered by WordPress

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • General
  • Advertisement
  • Exclusive
  • Sponsored
  • Student’s Life
  • Trending
WuzupNigeriaWuzupNigeria
  • Crime
  • Trending
  • Exclusive
  • Specials
  • health
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • videos
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?