Bayelsa ASUP threatens protest over rector’s reappointment

Juliet Anine
5 Min Read

 

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, Bayelsa State Polytechnic, Aleibiri chapter, has threatened to mobilise members from polytechnics and other tertiary institutions across the South-South and South-East zones for a peaceful protest in Yenagoa if the reappointment of Dr Wisdom Sori as Rector is not reversed.

The union also accused the Governing Council of the institution of violating the Bayelsa State Polytechnic Establishment Law 2014 in the process leading to Sori’s reappointment.

The development followed the indefinite withdrawal of services by ASUP, which commenced on Monday, August 10, 2026, after the expiration of a 14-day ultimatum issued to the authorities to reverse the appointment.

The union’s latest position was made known to journalists on Tuesday in Yenagoa by the ASUP Zonal Coordinator, South-South/South-East, Dr Richard Illoma, after an engagement with the state Commissioners for Education, Labour and Information. ASUP said it presented what it described as evidence of procedural violations surrounding the appointment.

Sori, a former Rector of the polytechnic, reportedly attained the age of 68 and retired in February 2024. His first tenure as Rector ended on June 19, 2026.

The Zonal Coordinator cited Section 8 of the Bayelsa State Polytechnic Establishment Law, which provides for a renewable four-year tenure, and said the recommendation was vetted by the state Attorney-General and approved by Governor Douye Diri, who is the Visitor to the institution.

The council also pointed to achievements recorded during Sori’s first tenure, including the relocation of the polytechnic to its permanent campus in Aleibiri, TETFund projects and the accreditation of more than 10 programmes.

But ASUP rejected the explanation, insisting that the issue was not about the Rector’s performance but compliance with the law.

The union alleged that the council failed to advertise the vacant position, constitute the required Search Team and establish the Joint Council and Academic Board Selection Board before recommending a candidate to the Visitor. ASUP said the Establishment Law required the selection process to produce three candidates for consideration by the Visitor.

“Council fell short of the step-by-step procedures outlined in the Polytechnic Establishment Law on how a Rector can be appointed,” ASUP said, adding that it “failed completely in all these steps, as it never applied any.”

The union also raised questions over the alleged backdating of Sori’s reappointment letter to June 21, 2026, claiming the move was designed to “erase the academic profile” of the Acting Rector.

ASUP further warned that the continued appointment of a retired Rector could attract sanctions from regulatory and intervention agencies, including the National Board for Technical Education, the Tertiary Education Trust Fund and the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

The union said its concerns had been repeatedly presented to the authorities before the strike commenced. The third Governing Council of the polytechnic was inaugurated on June 15, 2026, shortly before the controversy over the Rector’s appointment intensified.

Efforts by the council and ASUP to resolve the dispute ended in a deadlock, including a meeting of a subcommittee constituted to address the matter.

Following the failure of the talks and the expiration of the union’s 14-day ultimatum on August 7, ASUP commenced the indefinite strike on August 10, grounding academic activities at the Aleibiri campus.

The union said it was prepared to escalate the dispute beyond the state if the appointment was not reversed.

“The National Body of the Union will be constrained to use normative instruments at our disposal to swiftly mobilise our members from all the chapters in the zone, consisting of all polytechnics, monotechnics and colleges of technology in South-South and South-East Nigeria, for picketing and a peaceful protest in Yenagoa, if this appointment is not reversed,” it said.

ASUP also threatened to approach relevant intervention agencies and regulatory bodies, warning that the dispute could have implications for programme accreditation and access to intervention funds. The union specifically mentioned TETFund and NEEDS Assessment funds.

“For now, the strike subsists while further engagements with government continue,” ASUP said.

The union expressed confidence that Governor Douye Diri would intervene after receiving the report of its engagement with the commissioners.

When contacted to respond to the allegations made by ASUP, the council’s representative, DIG Mike Zuokumor, said he was unable to comment immediately.

TAGGED:
Share This Article