US waives visa bond requirement for World Cup fans from five African countries

3 Min Read

Maha Christopher

The administration of Donald Trump has announced a temporary waiver of visa bond requirements for football fans from five African countries travelling to the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

The decision, disclosed by the US State Department on Tuesday, affects visitors from Algeria, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Tunisia who have purchased valid World Cup tickets.

According to Economic Times, the visa bond policy was introduced last year as part of broader immigration enforcement measures targeting travelers from about 50 countries with high visa overstay rates and other security concerns.

Under the policy, applicants from affected countries were required to deposit refundable bonds ranging from $5,000 to $15,000 before obtaining US visas.

However, the State Department said citizens of the five African nations who have purchased FIFA World Cup tickets and enrolled in the FIFA Pass system for expedited visa appointments will now be exempted from the requirement.

The FIFA Pass system has reportedly been available since April 15.

World Cup players, coaches and selected tournament staff had already been excluded from the visa bond policy before the latest adjustment.

Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs, Mora Namdar, said the waiver is aimed at easing travel processes ahead of the tournament.

“The United States is excited to organise the biggest and best FIFA World Cup in history,” Namdar said.

“We are waiving visa bonds for qualified fans who bought World Cup tickets.”

The 2026 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to begin on June 11 and will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Despite the waiver, the US government maintained that several immigration restrictions remain in effect.

Travellers from Iran and Haiti still face entry bans, although exemptions exist for tournament personnel, while partial restrictions reportedly remain for visitors from Ivory Coast and Senegal.

The administration has also retained additional screening measures, including social media background checks for visa applicants.

The policies have drawn criticism from rights groups and travel advocates, who argue that the restrictions conflict with the inclusive spirit of the global football tournament.

Amnesty International and several American civil rights groups recently issued a World Cup travel advisory warning international visitors about the current immigration climate in the United States.

Meanwhile, the American Hotel & Lodging Association said visa related uncertainties have significantly affected international travel demand, with hotel bookings for the tournament reportedly falling below expectations.

The State Department, however, insisted that the broader visa bond programme remains an important tool for discouraging visa overstays while balancing immigration enforcement with preparations for one of the world’s largest sporting events.

 

Share This Article
Exit mobile version