US President Donald Trump has announced plans to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. He cited the cost of the drills and his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
According to BBC, Trump made the announcement on Sunday. This happened just hours before the United States and South Korea were due to begin their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises.
Trump said the exercises were expensive and sent what he described as an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea.
“These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America, but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
Trump links decision to Iran
Trump also appeared to link his decision to South Korea’s refusal to join the United States in efforts to denuclearise Iran.
He said he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul wanted to join the US in the “denuclearisation” of Iran, but was told, “No thanks!”
Trump has repeatedly criticised allies for not providing greater military or logistical support for the US campaign against Iran. Japan, France and the United Kingdom have also faced his displeasure.
South Korea reviews Trump’s comments
South Korea said it was reviewing Trump’s remarks but maintained that the planned military exercises would proceed as scheduled.
The country’s presidential Blue House said Seoul would continue consultations with Washington on military cooperation. This includes issues relating to the Strait of Hormuz and the joint exercises.
South Korea also expressed hope that Trump’s interest in improving relations with North Korea could eventually create an opportunity for meaningful dialogue with Pyongyang.
North Korea had yet to publicly respond to Trump’s latest comments.
Experts warn of security risks
The proposed reduction in the exercises has raised concerns among security experts. They argue that the drills are essential for maintaining military readiness between the two allies.
Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, said reducing the exercises could weaken coordination between US and South Korean forces. As a result, it could undermine deterrence against potential conflicts in Asia.
“The cost savings from downsizing drills are marginal, while the diplomatic benefits for relations with North Korea are doubtful,” Easley said.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was expected to involve about 18,000 South Korean troops and last 11 days.
US military officials have said the training also takes into account the threat posed by North Korean troops. These troops have been deployed to support Russia’s war in Ukraine.
About 28,500 US military personnel are stationed in South Korea.
Trump has previously suspended or reduced joint military exercises with South Korea. This includes action during his first administration when he halted some drills amid diplomatic efforts with Kim.
His latest announcement comes as tensions remain high on the Korean Peninsula. North Korea is continuing to develop its nuclear and missile programmes and has recently conducted ballistic missile tests.
The development also comes after South Korean President Lee Jae Myung proposed talks with North Korea on formally ending the Korean War. The war technically remains unresolved since the 1953 armistice.
