Connect with us


Teenage boy kills self after torture by soldier, task force in Kaduna


A 13-year-old boy, Wisdom Hashimu, took his own life after allegedly being tortured by a soldier and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force at the Ungwan Maigero Community in the Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The incident reportedly occurred on Thursday, June 7th. According to Channels TV reports, the late Wisdom was falsely accused of stealing N10,000 from a neighbour identified as Hope on June 1st.

Wisdom’s father, Mr. Saul, narrated the events that unfolded, stating, “Rather than report to the police, the soldier was said to have dragged Wisdom and Hope’s brother, both accused of stealing the money, to the civilian JTF office.”

MORE READING!  Niger local govt chairman beaten to stupor over N1.3m debt

“At the civilian JTF office, Wisdom was severely beaten to the point where he was unable to walk. He returned home after receiving medical attention,” Mr. Saul added.

The report on Channels TV revealed that the 16-year-old Hope had invited her boyfriend, Segun Samson, a serving soldier at Bodi Camp in Port-Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

However, the money went missing during the visit, prompting Hope to involve her boyfriend, who then dragged Wisdom and her brother to the Civilian JTF office.

MORE READING!  Eid-el-Kabir: Police vow 24-hour security in Ogun

Wisdom, who was sitting for his Junior Secondary School examination, was reportedly “severely beaten to a pulp by a soldier and members of the civilian JTF.”

Tragedy struck on Thursday when Wisdom’s lifeless body was found hanging on a noose at the back of their compound on Lafiya Sarki Street.

Mr. Saul expressed his disbelief at the events, stating, “But, beyond my wildest imagination, the Civilian JTF only beat Wisdom to the point of coma while Hope’s younger brother was spared and returned home unscathed.”

“After interrogation at home, her (Hope’s) younger brother confessed to the crime. When he was searched, N9,000 was found in his pocket, and he said he had spent N1,000 already,” Mr. Saul added.

MORE READING!  500 level Ondo varsity student dies mysteriously outside campus

The family has demanded justice over the alleged torture that led to Wisdom’s suicide. The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, confirmed that an investigation has been initiated, stating, “An investigation has since commenced.

The Commissioner of Police has directed the Department of Criminal Investigation to take full charge of the case and whosoever is involved will be brought to justice.”