Taiwan’s transport minister, Lin Chia-lung, on Sunday announced that he has accepted responsibility for the train disaster that rocked the country on Friday.
Chia-lung would not shirk his responsibility for a deadly train crash even as his resignation offer was rejected amid growing questions over safety lapses that could have contributed to the disaster.
In the island’s worst rail accident in seven decades, 51 people have been confirmed dead after a packed express train slammed into a truck near the eastern city of Hualien on Friday, causing it to derail and the front part to crumple.
Speaking at the crash site overlooking the ocean and backed by precipitous mountains, Lin Chia-lung said he would “not avoid” responsibility.
“I am also in charge of minimising the damage caused by the entire accident. After the whole rescue work is completed, I believe I will take the responsibility,” he said.
Premier Su Tseng-chang’s office said Lin had made a verbal offer to resign on Saturday, but Su rejected it for the time being, saying efforts, for now, should focus on rescue and recovery.
The truck that the train hit had slid down a sloping road onto the track just outside a tunnel. Officials are investigating the manager of the construction site, Lee Yi-hsiang, whose truck is suspected of not having its brakes properly applied.
Lee had been released on bail, though the high court’s Hualien branch on Sunday rescinded that decision after the prosecutors appealed it, sending the case back to the lower court.
Lee read out a statement apologizing for what happened as police took him away from his residence on Sunday, Taiwan media reported.
“I deeply regret this and express my deepest apologies,” he said. “I will definitely cooperate with the prosecutors and police in the investigation, accept the responsibility that should be borne, and never shirk it. Finally, I once again express my sincerest apologies.”
The transport ministry, and the rail administration which comes under it, are facing scrutiny over a number of questions, including why there was no proper fencing at the site and whether too many standing-only tickets were sold.
Deputy transport minister Wang Kwo-tsai said late on Saturday the railway administration needed to take hard look at all these issues, adding that his personal feeling was that “initially it looks like negligence” on the part of the building site contractor.
The railway administration is also without a permanent director after its former chief retired in January. The position is being filled in an acting capacity by another deputy transport minister, Chi Wen-chung.
Wang said Lin was working hard to find the right person to fill the job.
‘DAUGHTER’S VOICE BECAME QUIETER AND QUIETER’
The uncle of the youngest confirmed victim, a five-year-old girl, tearfully told reporters he was still waiting for an apology for the accident.
“I’m so angry,” he said.
The government has promised compensation and that it will do everything it can to help survivors and their relatives.
The damaged section of the track will not reopen until April 20 at the earliest, Wang said, though rail traffic continues on a parallel track that runs through another tunnel and was not affected by the accident.
Minister Lin said rescue and recovery work would continue.
“We continue to pull out the cabins stuck inside. The third cabin was dragged out last night. We expect to pull out two other cabins today,” he added.
The accident occurred at the start of a long weekend for the traditional Tomb Sweeping Day, when people return home to tend to family graves.
Survivors have described horrible scenes inside the wreck.
Priest Sung Chih-chiang told Reuters what surviving passenger Chung Hui-mei had told him.
“She could not find her daughter. When she yelled, she found her daughter was under the steel panels. She put her effort to move those pieces one by one, but her daughter’s voice became quieter and quieter, and then there was no response,” he said.
Buhari supporters booed out of Abuja House in London by Anti-Buhari protesters
Actress Sharon Ooja bags new ambassadorial deal
JUST IN: Gunmen abduct Catholic priest in Imo
Cubana Chief Priest brags as he celebrates his son, Obinna, on his birthday
Photos: Singer Bad Boy Timz bags degree in computer engineering from Bells University
Kidnappers demand N50m to free abducted 13-year-old boy
President-in-waiting, Bola Tinubu BY Sonala Olumhense
VIDEO: Comedian MC Edo Pikin shows off new house, dedicates it to his son
JUST IN: Dornier Airplane Skids Off Runway At Lagos Airport
Twitter users blast Burna Boy for allegedly receiving Gov Wike’s N10m
Nigerian Idol: You can either love or hate me’, Seyi Shay claps back at critics
Investigate frequent ‘blood sucking’ accidents on Otedola bridge, Nigerians task FG
Emefiele unlocks new level of wickedness, Nigerians react to USSD charges
JUST IN: Court strikes out charges against Mr Macaroni, 39 other #OccupyLekki demonstrators
Vatican dashes gay Catholics hope, says Church cannot bless same-sex marriages
Nigerian Idol:Twitter users drag Seyi Shay over harsh criticism of teenage contestant
VIDEO: How Lagos area boy, Aliu, became a modelling sensation
VIDEO: We were flogged but no one was raped – Kaduna college student
VIDEO: Rivers monarch speaks from captivity, lists abductors’ demand
VIDEO: Eight-month pregnant Aminat Idrees wins Lagos’ first gold medal at Edo 2020
VIDEO: Don’t seek revenge – Osinbajo tells Ebonyi attack victims
VIDEO: Governor Uzodinma visits Owerri correctional facility after gunmen attack
VIDEO: Activists pay condolence visit to late Yinka Odumakin’s widow
VIDEO: Why I revealed my lover’s identity – Rita Dominic
Entertainment18 hours ago
Big Brother star Nikki Grahame dies at 38
Gossip24 hours ago
Man loses N170K, smartphone to lady after one-night stand
Sports23 hours ago
Leeds stun Manchester City 2-1 at Etihad
General21 hours ago
Oba Elegushi clocks 45 ahead 11th coronation anniversary
videos23 hours ago
VIDEO: How Lagos area boy, Aliu, became a modelling sensation
Entertainment21 hours ago
I’m never lending anyone money again – Yemi Alade
Entertainment23 hours ago
Princess Shyngle’s marriage crashes after nine weeks over alleged domestic violence
General20 hours ago
Prince Philip’s ceremonial funeral fixed for April 17