Man City defender Benjamin Mendy charged with rape against three women
Manchester City defender, Benjamin Mendy, has been charged with an alleged rape against three complainants aged over 16.
UK Metro quoting Cheshire police reports that the 27-year-old is facing four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
A statement from the force revealed that the alleged rape took place between October 2020 and August 2021.
"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge a man in connection with allegations of sexual assault.
"Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.
"Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday 27 August," the force said.
Reacting to the development, the Premier League giants have subsequently suspended the player who joined from Monaco four years ago.
"Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
"The matter is subject to a legal process and the Club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete," City said.
Mendy has made 50 Premier League appearances for the club and won five major trophies so far.