Mali and Burkina Faso have announced new travel restrictions on United States nationals in a reciprocal move following Washingtonโs recent travel ban on several countries, including the two West African states.
Both countries disclosed the decision in separate statements issued by their foreign ministries and obtained on Wednesday.
The move comes after US President Donald Trump expanded a travel ban earlier this month to cover nearly 40 countries, based on nationality.
Burkina Fasoโs foreign ministry said it was introducing โequivalent visa measuresโ for American citizens.
Mali, in its statement, said it was applying โwith immediate effect, the same conditions and requirements on American nationals that the American authorities have imposed on Malian citizens entering the United Statesโ.
Mali also expressed displeasure over the decision by Washington, saying it regretted that the United States took โsuch an important decision without the slightest prior consultationโ.
The US travel ban affected several countries, including Syria, Palestinian Authority passport holders and nationals of some of Africaโs poorest nations such as Niger, Sierra Leone and South Sudan.
The White House said the restrictions were aimed at foreigners who โintend to threatenโ Americans.
Mali and Burkina Faso, both governed by military administrations, are members of a regional confederation that also includes Niger.
While Niger has not officially announced counter-measures, its state news agency quoted a diplomatic source last week as saying similar steps had been approved.
Trumpโs December 17 announcement also imposed partial travel restrictions on citizens of other African countries, including Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Senegal, as well as Canada and Mexico.
