Connect with us

Metro

Abducted A’Ibom monarch freed after N50m ransom payment

Published




A Paramount Ruler, Ogwong Okon A. Abang, of the Mbo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, who was abducted on May 18, 2024, in his Ebughu palace, has been released after reportedly paying a sum of N50m as ransom.

According to the PUNCH, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Timfon John, confirmed the development in Uyo but did not give details if money changed hands or not.

MORE READING!  Abductors of kidnapped retired school principal demand N20m ransom

She said, “Yes, it’s true, he has been released.”

A community leader, who pleaded not to be mentioned because he was not authorised to speak with the media, said, “The monarch was released early on Monday, and I can tell you the abductors collected N50m to release him.

“The community is bitter, especially from the realisation that some youths from within were among the kidnappers. We have vowed to get to the bottom of this and bring them to book.

MORE READING!  Four policemen, robbers killed in Abuja bank robbery

“This whole thing is induced by sheer greed and then envy by some mischievous community stakeholders over the exalted stool the paramount ruler occupies.”

The community leader further stated that the monarch had been taken to a hospital for a proper medical check, and his wife, who was shot during the abduction melee, was recuperating fast and would be discharged soon.

MORE READING!  Missing ladies: Celine, Afiba may still be alive, suspect's friend claims

It was reported that the abductors struck the palace at about 9 pm on May 18, firing gunshots as they dragged the monarch away, while his wife, Obonganwan Okon Abang, was shot in the leg.

Advertisement
Comments



Trending