ICPC probe exposes 20-state network behind alleged fake agency

Maha Christopher
6 Min Read

Fresh details have emerged about the structure of the alleged fake National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office. Its website lists a national coordinator and zonal directors. It also lists coordinators across 20 states and representatives in the United States and China.

According to The Punch, a review of the organisation’s website on Saturday showed that Hon. Nwabueze George was presented as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator.” However, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission said the office operated without presidential authorisation.

Website lists elaborate leadership structure

The website named Dr Hajara Njidda Amoni as Director of National Administration. Meanwhile, Mr Oladunjoye Musiliua, Hafsat Sahabi Dange and Mrs Ugochi Akudo Nwosu were listed as zonal directors for the South-West, North and South-East respectively.

Dr Bassey B. Unaowo was also presented as Special Assistant to the Permanent Secretary on Political and Economic Affairs in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

The organisation further claimed on its website that its operations were under the OSGF. It also stated that its framework was supervised by the Permanent Secretary responsible for Political and Economic Affairs.

That claim has become central to the controversy. This happened after the ICPC said the office had no presidential authorisation. Despite this, the office allegedly secured space within the premises of the OSGF.

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends permanent secretaries

ICPC Chairman Musa Aliyu disclosed on Friday that President Bola Tinubu had ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze. The commission identified him as the promoter of the alleged fictitious office.

The President also ordered the suspension of three permanent secretaries — M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah — following the discovery.

The ICPC said Nwabueze had operated using several variations of his name. These included George Nathan Nwabueze, George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze.

20 state coordinators named on website

The website listed coordinators across 20 states, suggesting that the organisation had developed a broad national structure.

Those named included Dr Babangida Kabir Ruma for Katsina, Hon. Abdulhaleem Ishaq Ringim for Kaduna, Hon. Dr Godwin Adolor for Delta and Hussaini Abdullahi for Kebbi.

Others listed were Hon. Olugbemi Adetola Adelowokan for Osun, Hon. Chiamaka Nnake for Anambra, Hon. Osolafia Muhammed for Nasarawa, Mrs Salome Audu Bidda for Plateau and Hon. Orduen Andrew Ikon for Benue.

The list also included Amb. Orioye G. Benedict for Ondo, Hon. Engr. Kehinde Akintonide for Ogun, Hon. Ibrahim Umar Aliyu for Sokoto, Hon. Mrs Nwosu Chinyere R. for Abia and Hon. Ibrahim Bello Marafa for Zamfara.

Haj. Zainab Mohammed was listed for Niger, Hon. Abubakar Ahmad Bichi for Kano, Hon. Justin Aondoaseer Tyopuusu for Taraba, Alhaji Bello Kolawole Ghaffar for Oyo, Hon. Farouq Siyi for Bauchi and Hon. Olorukooba Bidemi for Kogi.

However, the appearance of their names on the website does not establish that the individuals knew the organisation allegedly lacked government approval.

The Punch also said it had not independently confirmed the involvement of those listed.

Some names linked to public positions

Checks reportedly showed that some individuals named on the website had previously occupied public positions. Moreover, some had maintained links with political, governmental or community institutions.

In Taraba, for example, Tyopuusu has been identified in recent reports as a Special Assistant to Governor Agbu Kefas on Digital Economy. He was also presented as the state coordinator of the Made in Nigeria Special Project.

The precise nature of the involvement of those listed remains unclear as investigations continue.

US, China representatives also listed

Beyond its Nigerian network, the website presented the organisation as having representatives abroad.

Hon. Emmanuel Enemali Achema was named as “Country Rep./Coordinator, U.S.A.” Meanwhile, Hon. Ameh Enedugbojo Glory was listed in the same capacity for China.

The organisation claimed its activities included organising trade exhibitions and economic forums. It also promoted Nigerian-made products and supported small and medium-sized businesses.

Those claims have now come under scrutiny following the ICPC’s position that the body was not legitimately authorised.

Agency officials unreachable

Efforts to reach the organisation’s management reportedly failed, with all three telephone numbers displayed on its website switched off.

A message sent to the acclaimed national coordinator had also not received a response at the time the report was filed.

The development adds to growing concerns over alleged fictitious government bodies. This comes after the ICPC previously identified the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and other purported agencies. These include the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.

Investigations are expected to determine how the alleged office developed such an extensive structure. They will also examine how it secured government premises. Moreover, they will look into how it presented itself as operating under a federal institution without the required authorisation.

Share This Article