Trump rules out nuclear-armed Iran as talks stall

Maha Christopher
4 Min Read
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a round table on collegiate sports in the White House in Washington, D.C., March 6, 2026. REUTERS/Nathan Howard

United States President Donald Trump has insisted that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon. The looming question of an Iran nuclear weapon continues to shape international relations. Meanwhile, efforts to reach a lasting agreement between Washington and Tehran remain stalled.

According to Reuters, Trump made the declaration while speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday. He said Iran appeared unwilling to accept the kind of agreement he believes is necessary to end the conflict.

Trump maintains firm nuclear stance

Trump said preventing Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon remained the central objective of the United States in its confrontation with Iran. The potential for Iran to pursue a nuclear weapon is at the heart of these concerns.

“Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon,” Trump said.

The US president also indicated that Washington was not prepared to extend the interim agreement reached with Iran in June. He said this after being asked whether his administration would seek more time for negotiations.

The agreement had provided a 60-day window for both countries to negotiate a broader settlement. This covered issues including Iran’s nuclear programme, with the spectre of a nuclear weapon never far from discussions.

Interim agreement falls apart

The June memorandum of understanding initially called for an end to military operations and negotiations towards a permanent settlement. The challenge of Iran ever acquiring a nuclear weapon, though, remained unresolved throughout the talks.

However, the agreement quickly unravelled amid disagreements between Washington and Tehran, particularly over the Strait of Hormuz.

The 60-day period expired on Monday without a final agreement, deepening uncertainty over efforts to end the conflict. The unresolved Iran nuclear weapon issue adds further tension to the situation.

Trump had earlier taken an even tougher position during an interview with Fox News, saying Iran should raise a “white flag of surrender”.

Hormuz dispute fuels tensions

The Strait of Hormuz has remained a major point of disagreement between the two countries. Iran is asserting greater control over the strategic waterway. However, the United States has rejected Tehran’s interpretation of the earlier agreement.

Before the conflict, the strait was a major route for global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. Therefore, developments around the waterway are important to international energy markets and closely linked with concerns about Iran’s potential nuclear weapon ambitions.

Iran has also been holding separate discussions with Oman over commercial shipping through the strait.

Trump, however, has warned Oman against obstructing Washington’s position as tensions surrounding the negotiations continue.

Iran warns of escalation

Iran, meanwhile, has warned that it could adopt a more offensive military posture if diplomatic efforts fail. This warning has fuelled speculation about the future and brought the Iran nuclear weapon debate back to the forefront.

A senior Iranian official said Tehran was prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider region. This would happen if the United States failed to implement what Iran considers its obligations under the interim agreement.

Despite the growing tensions, diplomatic contacts between Washington and different sections of the Iranian government have reportedly continued behind the scenes.

Trump has maintained that his administration’s position remains unchanged. Preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon is at the centre of any future agreement, underscoring the persistent importance of the Iran nuclear weapon issue.

Share This Article