Maha Christopher
A magistrate court sitting in Ilorin, Kwara State, has ordered the arrest of the state commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Abbas Mohammed, over his alleged failure to appear before the court in an ongoing assault case involving two NSCDC officers.
According to The Punch, Chief Magistrate Adebayo Dupe, on Wednesday, directed the Kwara State Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, to arrest the NSCDC commandant and ensure his appearance before the court on the next adjourned date.
The order followed an application filed by counsel to Barrister Aladodo Abdullateef Nurudeen, who allegedly suffered assault at the hands of two NSCDC officers identified as Ajayi Williams Gbolahan and Busari Babatunde.
Counsel to the complainant, Prof. D.A. Ariyo Osu, informed the court that the NSCDC commandant had repeatedly failed to comply with earlier court directives ordering him to produce the defendants and also appear personally before the court.
Ariyo Osu described the conduct of the commandant as contemptuous and disrespectful to the authority of the court.
“The commandant’s actions are contemptuous and disrespectful, having ignored both the order to produce the defendants and the order directing him to appear before this honourable court,” he argued.
The complainant’s lawyer subsequently urged the court to issue a warrant for the arrest of the NSCDC boss for allegedly disregarding lawful court orders.
Responding to the application, counsel representing the NSCDC officers, A. Imam, told the court that the command had already petitioned the office of the Kwara State Chief Judge seeking a reassignment of the case.
Imam explained that the request for reassignment was based on what he described as a loss of confidence in the court currently handling the matter.
“We have petitioned the office of the Honorable Chief Judge for reassignment of the matter because the command has lost confidence in the court,” he said.
In a brief ruling, Chief Magistrate Dupe ordered the Kwara State Commissioner of Police to arrest and produce the NSCDC commandant before the court on June 10, 2026.
The case reportedly originated from a direct criminal complaint instituted by the Nigerian Bar Association, Ilorin Branch, against the two NSCDC officers over the alleged assault of Barrister Aladodo Nurudeen at the NSCDC office in Ilorin.
