Yobe medical workers suspend strike

Juliet Anine
2 Min Read

The Joint Association of Medical and Health Workers Union in Yobe State has suspended its strike after reaching an agreement with the state government.

The workers began the strike on Friday morning to demand the implementation of hazard allowances, which were approved in 2019 but have only been paid to a few unions so far.

The Chairman of the Medical and Health Workers Union in Yobe State, Satomi Hikama, stated that the strike was to push for the payment of hazard allowances that were promised during the COVID-19 outbreak.

“We embarked on strike action this morning to demand the implementation of our hazard allowances which the circular was issued during the COVID-19 outbreak to be implemented across the country,” he said. “In Yobe, only a few individuals are currently enjoying these allowances, among other demands.”

Hikama added that after a meeting with the Deputy Governor, Idi Barde-Gubana, the government pledged to implement the allowances by the end of September 2024. “After meeting with the Deputy Governor, Idi Barde-Gubana, the strike action has now been suspended as the government pledged to implement the allowances by September ending 2024,” Hikama said.

Governor Mai Mala Buni, in a statement signed by his Deputy, Idi Barde Gubana, urged the workers to resume their duties and assured them that the hazard allowances would be paid by September 2024.

The strike involved several unions, including the Association of Resident Doctors, the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria, the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives, the Medical and Health Workers Union, the Nigeria Society of Physiotherapists, and the Association of Radiographers of Nigeria, among others.

With the agreement now in place, the medical workers have returned to work, pending the fulfillment of the government’s promise to pay the hazard allowances.

Share This Article