Why Lagos recorded sharp drop in crime – CP

4 Min Read

The Commissioner of Police for Lagos State, Mr. Olohundare Jimoh, has announced a significant drop in major crimes across Lagos during his first year in office.

He attributed the achievement to intelligence-led policing, strengthened operational strategies, and active collaboration with communities.

Speaking to journalists at the command headquarters in Ikeja on Tuesday, Jimoh highlighted the command’s performance from February 18, 2025, to February 17, 2026, since assuming office.

He stated that internal security remained stable, with no serious breaches of public peace, and civil protests were managed professionally without escalation.

“Those celebrating were provided security, and those protesting were equally protected. We ensured that no protest degenerated into violence, and incidents threatening critical infrastructure, such as the Third Mainland Bridge, were contained with minimum force,” he said.

The commissioner also reported a major decline in cultism and cult-related violence, noting that notorious flashpoints in areas such as Oshodi, Ketu, Mushin, and Lagos Island are now under control.

“Several suspects linked to violent crimes were arrested, including a long-time gang leader who had been on the police watchlist for nearly two decades,” he added.

Jimoh revealed that over 150 stolen vehicles were recovered during the year, following the establishment of anti-car theft units across area commands to address the challenge.

He further noted that tactical squads were expanded from 23 to 35 units, covering all local government areas, while intelligence and surveillance operations helped prevent opportunistic crimes.
To strengthen security, Jimoh said the Eko Strike Force was created to complement the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), equipped with patrol vehicles and other resources provided by the Lagos State Government’s Security Trust Fund.

The commissioner emphasised that the use of technology and community engagement had been critical in improving response times and boosting public confidence. He also highlighted the command’s role in providing security for high-profile national and international events, including ceremonies attended by governors, ministers, and foreign dignitaries.

“The command remains committed to protecting residents and visitors. We will continue to ensure that Lagos remains not only Nigeria’s economic hub but also a model of security and public safety,” Jimoh said.

He stressed that Lagos’ improved security underscores its status as one of the safest states in Nigeria, despite its dense population and role as the country’s commercial center.

Jimoh lauded the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Kayode Egbetokun, for his immense support, and thanked the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for enhancing the operational capacity of the command by donating four new patrol vehicles through the State Security Trust Fund, led by its Executive Secretary, Dr. Ayo Ogunsan.

The commissioner described the state’s control centers as “state-of-the-art,” vital for monitoring security across the state’s population of over 24 million.

He added, “The Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Mr. Dave Umahi, has supported these centers, including providing monthly allowances of N3 million for members of staff, distributed across Marine Police units, Federal Highway Patrol, and the control centers themselves to sustain operations.”

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Exit mobile version