American YouTuber Elliot Eastman, 26, was shot dead and his body dumped at sea following a kidnapping at his home in Sibuco, Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines.
Local police said the incident happened on October 17, with new details emerging about his tragic death.
Eastman was abducted by four armed men who pretended to be police officers. They stormed his house around 10 p.m. and shot him in the leg when he resisted. He was then taken by speedboat, but reports say he died during the escape. His kidnappers threw his body into the sea.
Lieutenant Colonel Ramoncelio Sawan, a spokesperson for the regional police, explained that the details of Eastman’s death were initially treated as speculation.
“A witness told us Elliot was shot during the abduction and later died on the boat. This was confirmed in November when a suspect confessed during an interrogation,” he said.
Eastman’s family has been informed of his death through the U.S. Embassy, but his body has not been recovered. Police continue their investigation and have not identified the exact motive behind the kidnapping.
Former Sibuco Mayor Norbideiri Edding speculated that Eastman was targeted because he was a foreigner and may have been perceived as wealthy.
The YouTuber had moved to the area earlier this year after marrying Karisha Jala, a local woman. They lived in a modest home owned by Jala’s father. Eastman had previously expressed fears for his safety in the region.
In a Facebook livestream weeks before the incident, Eastman said, “As long as I’m here, my life is still at risk. This is one of the most dangerous areas in the country.”
The southern Philippines has struggled with violence from extremist groups like Abu Sayyaf and separatist movements. Efforts for peace have made progress in recent years, but poverty and sporadic violence remain serious challenges.
Three suspects connected to Eastman’s abduction were killed during a police operation in November. Authorities are continuing their search for his remains and investigating other possible suspects.
The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has joined the case, aiding local authorities in their efforts.
