Trump hikes tariffs on imports from all countries to 15%

3 Min Read

 

US President Donald Trump has announced he will impose global tariffs of 15 percent on all goods coming into the United States, following a Supreme Court ruling that struck down his previous import taxes.

 

Trump initially said on Friday that he would replace the scrapped tariffs with a 10 percent levy, but on Saturday he increased this to 15 percent on Truth Social, using a never-before-invoked trade law. The new rate is a temporary solution under Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act, which allows such tariffs to remain in place for about five months before requiring congressional approval.

 

It remains unclear whether the increased 15 percent rate will take effect on Tuesday, February 24, as previously planned for the 10 percent tariffs. The BBC has contacted the White House for clarification.

 

Trump’s decision raises questions for countries such as the UK and Australia, which had previously negotiated 10 percent tariff deals with the US. A White House official said Friday that countries with trade deals would face the global tariff under Section 122 rather than their negotiated rates, though deals involving steel, aluminium, pharmaceuticals, autos, and aerospace sectors remain unaffected.

 

Trump announced the decision following a Supreme Court ruling on Thursday that found he had overstepped his powers by introducing sweeping global tariffs last year under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). The court ruled 6-3 against the president, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Trump-appointed Justices Amy Coney Barrett and Neil Gorsuch joining the three liberal justices in the majority.

 

Trump called the decision “ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American” and said he was “ashamed of certain members of the court.”

 

The ruling opens the door for consumers and businesses to seek refunds from the unlawful tariffs. The National Retail Federation urged courts “to ensure a seamless process to refund the tariffs to US importers,” while US Senator Maria Cantwell has requested information on refund plans from Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent.

 

Global leaders have reacted to the uncertainty. French President Emmanuel Macron said France will adapt, adding that “the fairest possible rules involve reciprocity, not suffering unilateral decisions.” German Chancellor Friedrich Merz warned of the “poison” of constant tariff uncertainty and said he would work with EU countries on a joint position.

 

William Bain of the British Chambers of Commerce called the tariffs “bad for trade, bad for US consumers and businesses” and said they will “weaken global economic growth.”

 

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Exit mobile version