Newcastle fire Steve Bruce
Steve BruceEPA

Newcastle fire Steve Bruce

Bruce's exit was fast-tracked by the 3-2 home defeat to Tottenham last weekend, just one match under the new Saudi reign.

Newcastle United have announced the termination of Steve Bruce's contract by mutual consent in the wake of their £305million Saudi take-over.

The Manchester United icon had been tipped for the sack ahead of the club's revamp and his exit was fast-tracked by the 3-2 home defeat to Tottenham last weekend, just one match under the new reign.

Bruce said: "I am grateful to everyone connected with Newcastle United for the opportunity to manage this unique football club.

"I would like to thank my coaching team, the players and the support staff in particular for all their hard work. There have been highs and lows, but they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts.

"This is a club with incredible support, and I hope the new owners can take it forward to where we all want it to be. I wish everyone the very best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond."

Newcastle said in a statement: "Graeme Jones will lead the team on an interim basis, starting with Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, and will be supported by the coaching team of Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence, Ben Dawson and Simon Smith.

"The process of recruiting a new head coach is under way and an appointment will be announced in due course."

The Toon are one spot above bottom rockers, Norwich United, after fie loses and three draws in eight Premier League matches.

UK Sun reports that former Tottenham target Paulo Fonseca is favourite for the job, with Dortmund's Lucien Favre, Antonio Conte, Roberto Martinez, Graham Potter and Steven Gerrard all in the mix.

However, Manchester United legend, Wayne Rooney and Chelsea's ex-coach, Frank Lampard, have also been tipped to replace Bruce, according to UK Metro.

Related Stories

No stories found.
WuzupNigeria
wuzupnigeria.ng