Drama at Anfield as 10-man Chelsea hold Liverpool

Drama at Anfield as 10-man Chelsea hold Liverpool

European champions, Chelsea, held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw at Anfield on Saturday despite being outnumbered before the break.

Both teams were hoping to continue their perfect run in the Premier League after winning their two opening matches but the shared points appeared to be a win-win in the end.

Chelsea took the lead in the 22nd minute through an unbelievable header from Kai Havertz which beat Alisson for the first time this season.

Liverpool almost equalised immediately after Mohammed Salah sent a cross into the visitors' 18-yard area but Ceasar Azpillicueta's timely interception stole the ball off goal-bound Sadio Mane.

However, about a minute and half to the end of the first half, Liverpool were handed a controversial penalty for what appeared to be a delebrate handball to a goal-bound effortby Reece James.

Left bemused after the referee viewed the incident through the pitch-side monitor, James was red-carded before the break as the Blues conceded a penalty and at the same time went a man down.

Salah converted the spot-kick to level matters with his 99th goal for Liverpool but to the disgust of the Chelsea players and fans as the already silenced Reds fans went wild in jubilation.

A scuffle almost broke between both teams almost immediately after Mendy yellow-carded in attempt to kick the ball off Henderson in an apparent rage after conceding the equaliser.

Jurgen Klopp's men entered the break with their ego patched in front of their home crowd.

Outnumbered but not out, Thomas Tuchel was forced to substitute goal scorer, Kai Havertz, and N'golo Kante for Thiago Silva and Mateo Kovakic as Chelsea attempt to upset the hosts despite their numerical disadvantage.

But as expected, it was Liverpool who were breathing down the neck of the Blues with much of the actions happening around the Chelsea half for most part of the second half.

Mendy was the busiest of both goal keepers afterwards as the Reds kept pilling up shots on target, one which they lacked in the first half.

Having soaked much pressure, Chelsea began having a breather around the 70th minute and the game opened up again for whoever wanted it more.

However, The Blues held on until the end of the game as they left Anfield with one point.