A Spanish couple on their honeymoon in Singapore has been detained after staging a protest against Peter Lim, the billionaire owner of Valencia CF, the football club they support.
Dani Cuesta, the protester, posted photos online of himself outside Lim’s residence holding a banner that read “Lim Go Home,” criticizing the business magnate.
Cuesta and his partner, Mireia Sáez, were stopped at Singapore’s airport on Friday as they attempted to leave the country.
Their passports were confiscated, according to Valencia Mayor María José Catalá, who disclosed the situation on Spanish radio station Onda Cero.
The specific charges against the couple, if any, remain unclear. However, the matter is expected to be resolved later on Wednesday, according to the BBC.
Singapore is known for its strict laws on public assembly, which apply even to protests involving a single individual.
The government has defended these laws as essential for maintaining public order and safety.
Shortly after arriving in Singapore on Thursday, Cuesta posted on X (formerly Twitter) about his intention to “take some photos with my lovely flag” featuring the anti-Lim message.
Over the course of the day, he shared images of himself holding the yellow banner at various tourist locations across the city-state.
One photo shows him standing outside what is believed to be Lim’s luxury residence in Singapore, while a video captures him placing a sticker reading “Lim Out” on the gate.
Cuesta’s protest quickly gained traction online among Valencia fans, who have long criticized Lim’s leadership, blaming him for the club’s declining fortunes during his 10-year tenure.
Cuesta even gave an interview to the Valencia football podcast Tribuna Deportiva, where he described his protest as a spontaneous idea sparked by his wife’s suggestion of visiting Singapore during their honeymoon.
“We spent all morning going around Singapore, spending money on taxis and putting stickers on lampposts,” Cuesta told the podcast. “This is something we had to do.”
Despite initially joking that he hoped not to “end up in a Singapore prison,” the couple’s honeymoon took an unexpected turn the following day when authorities stopped them from boarding a flight to Bali.
Cuesta and Sáez were informed that their passports had been seized as part of an ongoing police investigation.
“The Spanish embassy in Singapore confirmed that two people had their passports taken away due to a police investigation,” Mayor Catalá said.
“They have not been told what type of crime they are being investigated for, but they can leave their hotel, just not the country.”
Valencia CF has acknowledged the situation, stating that they are in contact with the Spanish embassy in Singapore and working to resolve the matter.
“Valencia CF and La Liga are in communication with the Spanish embassy, which is assisting the couple,” the club said in a statement.
Neither the Spanish embassy in Singapore nor Singaporean authorities have responded to requests for further comment.
