Samsung recalls 1m faulty stoves after injury to 40 persons

2 Min Read
Chip factory expansion: Samsung sends 300 more workers to China

Samsung is recalling more than one million electric stoves in the United States due to reports of accidental fires that injured 40 people and killed pets, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission announced on Friday.

The recall affects over 1.1 million slide-in electric stoves sold between 2013 and 2024.

Samsung has advised owners of the affected models to contact the company for free replacement knob locks or covers.

The CPSC said, “Samsung issued this recall after reports that the knobs on these stoves could be accidentally activated by people or pets bumping into them.” The company’s press release did not mention the fires or pet deaths.

The safety commission reported that the stoves have been involved in “approximately 250 fires,” leading to about 40 injuries, with eight requiring medical treatment. There were also seven fires that resulted in the death of pets and 18 cases of “extensive property damage.”

The commission warned, “People continuing to use the recalled models should keep children and pets away from the front-range knobs and check them before going to bed.”

Samsung said, “Consumers may continue to use their slide-in electric ranges while waiting for their free knob locks or covers.”

This recall is a significant blow to Samsung’s safety reputation, which had already suffered from the 2016 worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone due to exploding batteries.

 

Share This Article
Exit mobile version