Connect with us


Sallah Tragedy: Suspected herdsmen slaughter three-month-old baby, couple in Benue


Herdsmen, Benue

Suspected herdsmen have killed a three-month-old baby, a couple and one other on Wednesday afternoon,  at Ulevkaa community in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, Vanguard reports.

An eyewitness stated that unknown to commuters, the armed militia herdsmen had taken over the Uikpam-Umenger-Gbajimba road waiting for unsuspecting victims.

“They saw a commercial Toyota Picnic vehicle heading towards Gbajimba, they pretended to be passengers and waved at the car. When the driver became suspicious of them he increased his speed and made effort to flee.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Benin Republic slams Igboho with illegal migration, two fresh charges

“But the others who hid in front saw that the driver was making effort to run away with his passengers from the trap, they opened fire on the vehicle.

“A bullet hit the three-month-old baby on the chest and scattered his ribs. One of the bullets also hit the mother on the lap.

“The driver managed to escape with the passengers, unfortunately, the baby died on the way before reaching the hospital in Daudu but the mother survived.

“Angered by the failed operation, the armed herders waited for other victims. One of them was identified as one Terver and his wife, who they seized and slaughtered and their remains dumped by the roadside.

MORE READING!  Tokyo Olympics: 160,000 condoms ‘distributed’ to athletes, officials

“Also, a firewood seller identified as Solomon Kumaiin, who was on a motorbike was also shot and killed by the armed herders,” he said.

According to the eyewitness, on noticing what was happening, the driver of another vehicle that was directly behind the Toyota quickly reserved and drove straight to a nearby Uikpam village that is home to an IDP camp and a military checkpoint to report the matter.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Bandits abduct ransom bearer negotiating Niger students' release

The remains of the victims had been deposited at a mortuary in Daudu where all the injured were receiving treatment.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Catherine Anene said that she was yet to receive details of the incident.