The sacked chairman of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, Jalal Arabi, has been reportedly released on bail from the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
According to the PUNCH, it was reported that the commission’s secretary, Abdullahi Kontagora, was also released on bail.
Recall that Arabi and Kontagora were detained over alleged misappropriation of the ₦90bn 2024 Hajj intervention fund provided by the federal government.
Further reports on the investigation by the EFCC show that both men were initially unable to meet their bail conditions and, therefore, ended up staying five days in the custody of the anti-graft commission.
An anonymous source said both Arabi and Kontagora met their bail conditions and were released on Monday.
The source added that no further recovery had been made yet after the first 314,098 Saudi Riyal but investigations are still ongoing.
“The former Hajj Commission chairman and the secretary have been released, and the investigation is still ongoing. They were released on Monday after meeting their bail conditions. Nothing yet on the matter. No other recoveries except for the earlier ones,” the source said.
The EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, could not be reached for confirmation as of the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has dismissed Jalal Arabi from his position as Chairman of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) and appointed Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman as the new Executive Chairman of NAHCON.
