Connect with us

News

Red cross appeals for over $100 million to help earthquake-hit Morocco

Published




The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has appealed for over $100 million to provide assistance to Morocco, which was hit by a powerful earthquake on Friday.

The quake, which had a magnitude of 6.8, killed nearly 2,900 people and injured more than 2,500. It was the most powerful earthquake to hit Morocco in over 60 years.

MORE READING!  Tinubu, govs to attend Yoruba security summit Thursday

Speaking to reporters in Geneva, Caroline Holt, global director of operations at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said “We are seeking 100 million Swiss franc (112 million dollars) to be able to deliver on the most pressing needs at this time,

The IFRC said the funds would be used to provide food, water, shelter, and medical care to those affected by the quake. It also said the funds would be used to help rebuild homes and infrastructure.

MORE READING!  Ex-Lagos commissioner to curate PUNCH’s 50th-anniversary exhibition

Search and rescue teams from Morocco and abroad are continuing to dig through the rubble of collapsed buildings in a race against time to find survivors.

The Moroccan government has authorized rescue teams from Britain, Qatar, Spain, and the United Arab Emirates to help with the relief effort. However, it has so far declined offers of assistance from several other countries, including the United States and Israel.

MORE READING!  Endangered species protection bill passes first reading
Advertisement
Comments



Trending