The Niger State Police Command has arrested four suspected members of a vigilante group in connection with the abduction and killing of a 32-year-old cattle trader, Umar Bingel, in Kontagora.
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, disclosed this in the command’s weekly bulletin.
He said the victim, who lived in the Dadin-Kowa area of Kontagora, was abducted on February 12, 2026, at about 4 pm while returning from the market along Government Day Secondary School Road.
According to the police, Bingel was riding a Bajaj motorcycle and had N1.5 million, said to be proceeds from the sale of his cows, when he was allegedly stopped and taken to an undisclosed location by suspected vigilante members.
Police operatives attached to the Kontagora Area Command commenced an investigation immediately after the incident was reported.
The probe led to the arrest of Suleiman Umar, Tanko Sale, and Rabiu Bako, who were identified as members of a vigilante group operating in Kontagora.
During interrogation, the suspects reportedly admitted having knowledge of the incident and mentioned two alleged leaders of the group, identified as Danbaba and Smalli of Farin-Shinge village via Kontagora, as those responsible for killing the victim.
The principal suspect, Danbaba, was apprehended on February 15.
According to the police, he later guided investigators to a pit where Bingel’s decomposed body had been concealed.
The remains were recovered and taken to the General Hospital in Kontagora before being released to the family for burial.
Items recovered from the suspects included the victim’s Bajaj motorcycle, three locally fabricated firearms, two dane guns, and four rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition.
The suspects are currently undergoing further investigation and are to be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Minna.
In a separate incident, the police also arrested a 40-year-old man, Jafar Mohammed, also known as Danlami, over an alleged attempt to sexually assault three girls aged between six and seven in Kontagora.
The police said the incident occurred on February 11, 2026, at about 10 am in an uncompleted building in the Dadin-Kowa area, where the suspect allegedly lured the children with candy.
One of the girls reportedly raised an alarm, drawing the attention of neighbours who apprehended him and handed him over to the police.
The suspect has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Minna for further investigation and possible prosecution, according to the police.

