Oyo govt says abducted pupils, teachers not yet released

Juliet Anine
3 Min Read
Governor Seyi Makinde

 

The Oyo State government has denied viral social media posts claiming that victims abducted during last Friday’s attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area have been released.

Abayomi Fagbenro, the special adviser on security to Governor Seyi Makinde, said as of Thursday morning, there had been no release of the abducted teachers and students.

“As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” Fagbenro said.

The attack on three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso led to the killing of at least two persons and the abduction of about 30 teachers and students.

Reports claiming the release of the abducted victims went viral since Wednesday night. While some posts said the victims had been released, others described the reports as fake. Some people also expressed doubts about the claims, noting that no mainstream media organisation had reported the development.

Similarly, the Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, Olayinka Ayanlade, said he was not aware of the release of the victims. He, however, said efforts were being intensified to secure the release of those held hostage.

Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, announced the deployment of more detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to work with the joint security team to secure the release of the abducted teachers and students.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, on Wednesday called for a careful, clinical and timely operation to rescue the victims.

Also, the Defence Headquarters said troops had made contact with the abductors and were working to ensure the rescue of the kidnapped students and teachers.

Governor Seyi Makinde also said efforts were being made to secure the release of those abducted.

Gunmen invaded Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and LEA Primary School, Esiele, in Oriire Local Government Area, abducting scores of pupils, students and teachers.

Makinde had earlier said seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School. He also disclosed that one person was killed during the attack.

 

 

Share This Article