Connect with us


Osun hospital detains 19-year-old new mom over N150,000 bill as husband flees


A 19-year-old new mother has been detained in a hospital in Osun State because she could not afford the N150,000 hospital bills.

Blessing Abosede had her baby by caesarian section on 4th May 2020, the same day she arrived at the hospital. For 18 days, her husband, a mechanic who leaves in Ede, has yet to show up at the hospital with the funds to effect her discharge.

Stranded and with hopes of getting the N150,000 charged for their services dimming, the hospital’s management has moved her to a different ward and threatened she may end up staying at the gatehouse while her people source for money.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Nigeria in critical situation - Osinbajo

Bosede, a tailor, would be 20 this year. She said she never envisaged she would give birth by CS, which is more expensive than natural birth.

“They [the hospital management] have not been harsh to me but we have been moved out of where we were initially. We are now in a separate ward. There are three people where I am now. The hospital management has told me to pay this week. If I fail to pay, I will be moved to the gate,” she said in a The Punch Newspaper report.

“The hospital is no longer charging us. But the debt incurred is still there. The bills are for the caesarean section and what they used for the baby. The total debt is N150,000.”

She added,

“The hospital management has told me that they will soon need to give where we are staying presently to someone else. If I am unable to raise the money by this weekend, I will be moved to gate. I am hoping help will come and I will leave here with my child very soon.”

For Bosede, whose mother died in January 2020, her only hope of getting the hospital bill cleared is God.

“My hope is in God. My mother is dead; she died in January 2020. A soldier in Ede stabbed her to death. Since the incident occurred, the Army authorities have refused to release her corpse to us.

“My husband has abandoned me here (in the hospital) since the day I had my baby. He came with his mother on May 4 when I was brought to the hospital. Since then, I have not seen him. I called him, but he said he did not have money.”

Asked how she has been feeding, Bosede said,

My grandmother has been feeding us. She brings food for us every day. I love my son and seeing him in good health gives me hope that all will still be fine.


MORE READING!  NCDC announces 1,483 new COVID-19 cases, five deaths