N’Korea’s Kim unveils 50 nuclear-capable rocket launchers

4 Min Read

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has unveiled 50 nuclear-capable rocket launchers ahead of a major congress of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea, state media reported.

According to the Korean Central News Agency, Kim presided over a ceremony on Wednesday where 600mm-calibre rocket launchers were displayed.

He described the weapons as “wonderful” and “attractive,” and indicated that fresh military and construction objectives would be announced at the upcoming party congress.

KCNA reported that 50 of the launchers were presented by munitions workers.

“When this weapon is used, actually, no force would be able to expect God’s protection,” Kim said, according to the KCNA.

“It is really a wonderful and attractive weapon.”
Images published by state media showed rows of launch vehicles arranged at Pyongyang’s House of Culture, the venue for the congress.
Kim described the system as “appropriate for a special attack, that is, for accomplishing a strategic mission”, a phrase widely interpreted as referring to nuclear capability.

He added that the weapons feature “AI technology and compound guidance systems” and would serve as a deterrent against unspecified adversaries.

The display comes ahead of the 9th Congress of the Workers’ Party, regarded as one of the country’s most significant political gatherings. Kim said on Wednesday that the congress “will declare the next phase of the self-reliant defence initiative” and accelerate the “project of constantly renewing our military capabilities” in order to “subdue any threats ⁠and challenges from outside forces”.

The congress is expected to outline North Korea’s policy direction on foreign affairs, military strategy, and nuclear development for the next five years. State media have reported the arrival of delegates in recent days, fuelling speculation that proceedings could begin imminently.

South Korea’s military said it is closely monitoring the North’s weapons development activities. A spokesperson for the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff made the remarks on Thursday.
Hong Min, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification, told the Agence France-Presse (AFP) that the system could have a range of about 400 kilometres (250 miles), potentially covering the entirety of South Korea.

“Its primary purpose is to neutralise the combined air power of South Korea and the United States,” he said.

“If equipped with tactical nuclear warheads, a single battery firing four to five rounds could devastate an entire airbase.”

South Korea’s capital, Seoul, lies less than 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the border with North Korea at its closest point.

Inter-Korean relations have remained strained since 2019, when diplomacy between Kim and former US President Donald Trump collapsed over sanctions disagreements. Since then, Pyongyang has halted most forms of dialogue and cooperation with Seoul.
Tensions have intensified in recent years after Kim abandoned the North’s long-standing objective of peaceful reunification and instead described relations on the Korean Peninsula as a hostile “two-state” system.

In a separate KCNA dispatch on Thursday, Kim’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, acknowledged an apology from a South Korean minister regarding alleged civilian drone incursions but stated that Pyongyang is strengthening border security against what she called the “enemy”.

North Korea said the drone incidents occurred in September last year and again in January. Seoul has denied operating drones during the periods cited, though authorities are investigating three civilians suspected of flying drones across the border.

Kim Yo Jong said ⁠it would be to South Korea’s benefit to prevent the recurrence of such severe infringement of North Korea’s sovereignty.

“The border with the enemy should be solid,” Kim Yo Jong said, according to KCNA.

Share This Article
Exit mobile version