The National Judicial Council has selected 11 justices to fill vacant positions on the Supreme Court bench.
This move comes in response to the recent retirement of Justice Musa Dattijo, leaving the court with 10 justices, well below the constitutionally mandated 21.
Recall that Wuzup Nigeria reported that the NJC screening 22 candidates shortlisted for the positions by the Federal Judicial Service Commission. Now, the NJC has officially announced the names of the successful candidates:
- Justice Haruna Tsammani (Bauchi)
- Justice Moore Adumein (Bayelsa)
- Justice Jummai Sankey (Plateau)
- Justice Chidiebere Uwa (Abia)
- Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme (Imo)
- Justice Obande Ogbuinya
- Justice Stephen Adah (Kogi)
- Justice Habeeb Abiru (Lagos)
- Justice Jamilu Tukur
- Justice Abubakar Umar (Kebbi)
- Justice Mohammed Idris (Niger)
The NJC is expected to forward these nominations to President Tinubu for approval before Friday.
In addition to the Supreme Court appointments, the NJC also made recommendations for various other positions:
- Justice Mohammed Ahmed Ramat for the Court of Appeal.
- Justice Joel Agya as the Chief Judge of Taraba State.
- Justice Umar Abubakar as the Chief Judge of Kebbi State.
- Kadi Mukhtar as the Grand Kadi Sharia Court of Appeal in Kebbi State.
- Justice A. O. Femi-Segun as the President of the Customary Court of Appeal of Ogun State.
- Justice Alfred Yakubu as the President of the Customary Court of Appeal of Taraba State.
- Justice Tajudeen M. Abdulganiyu as the President of the Customary Court of Appeal of Oyo State.
- Amaebi Orukari and Akinyemi Ayodele as High Court judges in Bayelsa and Ogun states, respectively.
The NJC spokesperson Adesoji Oye on Wednesday, said clarifies the next steps. He said, “All recommended candidates to the Supreme Court bench would be sworn in after the approval of their recommendation by President Bola Tinubu, GCFR, and the subsequent confirmation of their appointment by the Senate.
“The various Heads of Court recommended would also be sworn in upon the approval of their appointment by their various state governors and subsequent confirmation of same by their respective state Houses of Assembly.”
Davido advises Kanye West to Join Puma amid Adidas dispute
Arsenal disclose £52.1m loss in 2022-23 accounts
Brighton’s Mitoma out till end of season
Liverpool need miracles, says Klopp over injury concerns
Ten Hag hits back at Carragher for criticizing tactics
Burna Boy’s ‘African Giant’ goes platinum France
Lagos police arraign woman to Kirikiri prison for assaulting cop
Diddy sued by ex-male employee for sexual assault
Drake’s nude video surfaces on social media
Ondo varsity student stabbed to death by suspected cultists
Speaker Abass swears in 12 new reps members
Edo 2024: APC gov aspirant Idahosa knocks Obaseki over state’s debt
Rivers APC chieftain slams Tony Okocha over leadership claims
China executes couple for throwing toddlers out of apartment window
Late Akeredolu wanted me to succeed him – Ex-commissioner
APC chieftain warns Tinubu over recent protests
VIDEO: Thugs invade Osun APC secretariat
VIDEO: Strayed cow goes berserk inside NYSC orientation camp in Ogun
VIDEO: Are black cats bad luck?
VIDEO: Does COVID-19 only affect rich people?
VIDEO: Will I remain single if someone sweeps over my feet with a broom?
VIDEO: Gani Adams rallies Benin Republic monarchs for Sunday Igboho
FIDIO: Ǹjẹ́ Gbogbo Akitiyan Ìjọba Láti Mú Ẹ̀yìn Olóyè Sunday Ìgbòho Balẹ̀ Yìí Tọ́ Àbí Kò Tọ́?
VIDEO: Pastor Tunde Bakare declares National Movement
Entertainment20 hours ago
Wendy Williams dementia caused by alcohol – son reveals
Entertainment21 hours ago
Mixed reaction over Kunle Afolayan’s dance with daughter at Anikulapo movie
News21 hours ago
NANS urges NLC to reconsider strike decision
Sports9 hours ago
Guardiola wants De Bruyne to stay at Man City amid Saudi interest
News9 hours ago
FG to close Third Mainland Bridge for 24hrs Wednesday
Sports21 hours ago
Olympics: Super Falcoons beat Cameroon to enter final qualifying round
News9 hours ago
Akpabio makes U-turn on alleged N30bn hardship allowance to govs
News9 hours ago
NIN: Court restrains telecom operators from SIM deactivation