Nick Kyrgios suspended after positive cocaine test in Spain

5 Min Read

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP tournament in Mallorca, Spain. The Nick Kyrgios suspension has become a major topic in tennis news worldwide.

According to Reuters, the International Tennis Integrity Agency announced the suspension on Wednesday after a sample provided by the former Wimbledon finalist tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

The 31-year-old has accepted responsibility for the failed test, describing his actions as a serious mistake and apologising to his family, fans, sponsors and young people who look up to him.

Positive test traced to Mallorca tournament

The ITIA said Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22 while competing at an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca.

A laboratory accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine in the sample on July 17.

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and substance of abuse on WADA’s prohibited list and is banned during competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.

Due to the nature of the substance detected, Kyrgios was placed under a mandatory provisional suspension from August 4. Notably, the Nick Kyrgios suspension means he is unable to compete for the foreseeable future.

Kyrgios admits ‘huge mistake’

Reacting publicly to the development, Kyrgios admitted that he had failed the drug test and took responsibility for his actions.

“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” he said.

Kyrgios also apologised to those close to him and particularly addressed younger supporters who regard him as a role model.

“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself,” he said.

Injuries took mental toll, Kyrgios says

While stressing that he was not making excuses, Kyrgios said the physical and emotional impact of his persistent injury problems had taken a significant toll on him.

The Australian has struggled to play consistently in recent years following wrist reconstruction and knee surgeries.

“The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally,” Kyrgios said.

He admitted that coming to terms with the possibility that his professional career could be nearing its end had been particularly difficult.

“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined,” he added.

Kyrgios barred from tennis events

Under the provisional suspension, Kyrgios cannot compete, coach or attend events organised or sanctioned by major tennis governing bodies.

The restriction covers tournaments under the ATP, WTA, Grand Slams, World Tennis and national tennis associations.

Kyrgios has the right to appeal against the provisional suspension but has so far chosen not to do so. The situation surrounding the Nick Kyrgios suspension remains unresolved as of now.

He also announced plans to withdraw temporarily from social media and public life for 28 days as he focuses on addressing his situation. Therefore, the Nick Kyrgios suspension will continue to have an impact on both his career and the tennis world.

“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he said.

Past doping criticism resurfaces

The development has attracted further attention because Kyrgios has previously been outspoken about doping cases involving other leading tennis players.

He publicly criticised the handling of cases involving Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek, arguing that positive drug tests created a damaging image for tennis.

Kyrgios, who reached the Wimbledon final in 2022 and achieved a career-high singles ranking of world No. 13, has played only a limited number of matches in recent years due to recurring injuries.

His provisional suspension will remain in force while the anti-doping process continues.

Share This Article
Exit mobile version