President Muhammadu Buhari has again conveyed his condolences and that of his government to the people of Zamfara State on what he called the “extremely unfortunate” mass killings of innocent people by retreating bandits.
Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s spokesman, confirmed this development in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
The president, who described the recent incident as a very sad one for the nation, reiterated his earlier commitment to tackle the monster of terrorism head on.
He further reassured that the besieged communities and other Nigerians would not be abandoned to their fate.
President Buhari, represented by a delegation led by the Minister of Defence, retired Maj.-Gen. Bashir Magashi, expressed the strong determination of the administration to get rid of these bandits who had since been classified as terrorists.
In an address to the Governor, commissioners, Emirs, the Chief Judge and Grand Khadi, legislators, council chairmen and political leaders, the president said: “There will be no let-up in the ongoing campaign to rid Zamfara and other affected states of the menace of these terrorists. Since they have no regard for the sanctity of life, so shall they be dealt with.
“The government is fully informed of what is going on and will do whatever it takes to end this. We are here to talk to the Governor and to assure the state that the administration is determined to do more to defend the life and property of the people.”
He condoled with the government and the people of the state over the loss of lives and directed the military and other security agencies to intensify the ongoing campaign ”until everyone and everywhere is safe.”
Gov. Bello Matawalle of Zamfara, who welcomed the delegation, appreciated the wisdom and vision of the president in approving the ongoing military campaign in the state.
According to him, the effect of the campaign has led to the dismantling of terrorists’ hideouts used as launching grounds for kidnapping, rustling and terrorism but said that more still needs to be done.
The governor described President Buhari as an example to the world in the establishment of democratic values and commended him for responding positively to all the requests so far placed before him by the state government.
He called on the federal government to fortify the security of the state with additional Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and to roll out a special intervention fund for Zamfara and other states equally affected by the scourge of insecurity.
The delegation conveyed the approval of the president for palliative items for the Anka and Bukkuyum Emirates, the latest to be attacked, and for other areas equally affected by the attacks in the recent past.
Members of the delegation include the Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Maigari Dingyadi, and the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Affairs, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Faruk.
Others were the National Security Adviser, retired Maj-Gen. Babagana Munguno, Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu.