#EndSARS report: Lai Mohammed should apologise to CNN, says lawyer

#EndSARS report: Lai Mohammed should apologise to CNN, says lawyer
Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai MohammedFILE

Counsel for the Cable News Network, Olumide Babalola, has asked the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, apologise to the medium in the wake of the Lekki Tollgate shooting report that indicted the army and police.

The information minister had tagged an investigative report of the massacre at the Lekki Tollgate, Lagos, in the hands of the Nigerian Army on the night of October 20, 2020 by the CNN as fake news.

However, WuzupNigeria reports that the submitted report by the judicial panel set up by the Lagos State Government had declared that nine persons were killed while at least 24 others injured during the military attack on the protesters that night.

In a statement titled ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement’, the lawyer said the report had vindicated CNN.

Babalola said, “Alhaji Mohammed had consistently claimed the CNN’s report of massacre was false but the panel has vindicated CNN’s position on the gruesome and wanton killings at the Lekki Tollgate

“Without necessarily saying more on this, since the same minister had earlier called on CNN to apologise for fake news, which has now been quasi-judicially proved to be true, one would think the honourable thing for Alhaji Mohammed to do, as an elder statesman and learned gentleman, is to apologise to CNN especially.

“However, as we continue to wait on the minister and FG’s next move, I sympathise with families of all the victims of Lekki massacre while we pray for the souls of the departed and hope the government implement the report in full.”

Related Stories

No stories found.
WuzupNigeria
wuzupnigeria.ng