Beirut Explosion: Lebanese demand justice one year after blast

Beirut Explosion: Lebanese demand justice one year after blast

Thousands of Lebanese gathered in Beirut on Wednesday to mark the first anniversary of a catastrophic explosion at the port, holding pictures of the dead and demanding justice.

One year after the disaster, caused by a huge quantity of ammonium nitrate stored unsafely at the port for years, no senior official has been held to account, infuriating many Lebanese as their country also endures financial collapse.

As a memorial service got underway at the port, water cannon and tear gas were fired at protesters who had been throwing stones towards security forces near parliament, live TV footage showed. Six people were wounded, a security source said.

As the crowds built, two people were injured in scuffles between supporters of rival parties in the nearby Gemmayzeh area, a security source said. Gunshots were fired into the air.

One of the biggest non-nuclear explosions ever recorded, the explosion killed more than 200 people, wounded thousands and was felt in Cyprus, more than 240 km (150 miles) away.

An investigation is stalling, with requests denied for immunity to be lifted from senior politicians and former officials. All those sought for questioning by the Lebanese investigators have denied any wrongdoing.

"We will not forget and we will not forgive them ever. And if they can't bring them to account, we will by our own hands," said Hiyam al-Bikai, dressed in black and clutching a picture of her son, Ahmad, who was killed when masonry fell on his car.

A huge banner on a building overlooking the port said: "Hostages of a Murderous State."

French President Emmanuel Macron, who has led Western pressure for reform in Lebanon, said its leaders owed the people the truth and heaped new criticism on the governing elite for failing to deal with the economic crisis.

The damage is still visible across much of Beirut. The port resembles a bomb site, its huge wrecked grain silo unrepaired.

Thousands of people, many waving Lebanese flags, descended on the port and nearby areas.

Lebanese army helicopters flew overhead giving off red and green smoke – the national colours – as koranic verses were recited at the memorial service in the port, where a mass was due to be held. Names of the victims were read in commemoration.

"We want our rights – the rights of the martyrs and victims. Their immunities are not dearer than the blood of the martyrs and victims," said Hanan Hoteit, whose relative, Tharwat, was killed at the port.

"Because you destroyed our future, accountability is coming," declared one banner.

A Human Rights Watch report released this week concluded there was strong evidence to suggest some Lebanese officials knew about and tacitly accepted the lethal risks posed by ammonium nitrate.

Reuters reported last August that Prime Minister Hassan Diab and President Michel Aoun were both warned in July last year that the chemicals posed a security risk and could destroy the capital if they exploded.

Aoun has said he is ready to testify if needed, and that he supports an impartial investigation.

Diab, who quit after the blast, has said his conscience is clear.

The chemicals arrived on a Russian-leased cargo ship that made an unscheduled stop in Beirut in 2013. An FBI report seen by Reuters last week estimated around 552 tonnes of ammonium nitrate exploded, less than the 2,754 tonnes that arrived.

That discrepancy is one of the many questions that remain unanswered. No one ever came forward to claim the shipment.

WuzupNigeria
wuzupnigeria.ng