The Nigeria Democratic Congress has said it will adopt a strategic approach to its 2027 election campaign rather than immediately embark on large-scale electioneering activities following the lifting of the ban on political campaigns.
The party said the commencement of the campaign period did not require it to launch into intensive rallies and other activities immediately, stressing that it would carefully deploy its resources and engage relevant stakeholders ahead of the presidential election.
The National Publicity Secretary of the NDC, Osa Director, disclosed this while speaking on the party’s preparedness for the 2027 elections.
Director said the NDC was prepared to conduct an “effective and efficient campaign that is stakeholders-driven”, but noted that the presidential election was still about five months away.
He explained that the party would use the period to develop a campaign strategy capable of effectively communicating its message to Nigerians instead of rushing into activities merely because the ban on campaigns had been lifted.
“The NDC is ready to run an effective and efficient campaign that is stakeholders-driven. However, the fact that the ban on campaign activities is lifted does not automatically translate to political parties commencing their campaigns the same day.
“The presidential election is about five months away. Therefore, we need to be strategic and impactful with our campaign strategies,” he said.
The NDC spokesman also criticised the increase in billboard charges by some state governments, warning that the development could restrict the ability of political parties and candidates to reach voters during the campaign season.
He described the hikes as unreasonable, arguing that political parties should operate in an environment that guarantees freedom of expression and equitable political participation.
“We condemn the unreasonable hike in prices for billboards by some states. It is undemocratic and amounts to constricting the space for free expression.
“The state governments involved in such unwholesome and politically abominable practices should reverse themselves immediately. What are they afraid of?” he asked.
Director further assured NDC candidates that the party would provide the necessary support to enable them to campaign effectively across the country.
He said the party was determined to adopt a different approach to Nigerian politics, adding that its activities during the election season would set it apart from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
“We will give our candidates all the necessary support to succeed. NDC will play politics of no longer business as usual.
“Nigerians should watch out, and they will soon notice that we are different and the preferred party to rescue Nigeria from its present mess inflicted on it by the moribund APC government,” he alleged.
The NDC’s position came as political parties and candidates signed the first National Peace Accord on issue-based campaigns ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The accord was signed in Abuja on Tuesday at a ceremony organised by the National Peace Committee in partnership with The Kukah Centre, shortly before the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies.
The agreement commits political actors to peaceful and issue-based campaigns while discouraging violence, hate speech, misinformation, personal attacks and other actions capable of undermining the electoral process.
The ceremony was attended by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Joash Amupitan; political party leaders; presidential and National Assembly candidates; the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu; members of the diplomatic community and other stakeholders.
Among those who signed the accord were President Bola Tinubu, represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume; NDC presidential candidate Peter Obi; Social Democratic Party candidate Adewole Adebayo and African Action Congress candidate Omoyele Sowore.
Other participants included APC National Chairman, Prof Nentawe Yilwatda; presidential candidates and representatives of other political parties; the Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin; the PRP National Chairman, Hakeem Baba-Ahmed; lawmakers, party leaders and other candidates.
Diplomatic representatives, including the European Union Ambassador to Nigeria, Gautier Mignot, and the Ambassador of Switzerland to Nigeria, Patrick Egloff, also delivered goodwill messages during the event.
Some prominent political figures, however, were absent from the ceremony. They included former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), and Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, who is the presidential candidate of the Allied Peoples’ Movement.
The signing of the accord took place amid heightened political activities ahead of the 2027 elections, with the economy, insecurity, unemployment, poverty, infrastructure and the credibility of the electoral process expected to dominate campaign discussions.
Under INEC’s revised timetable, the presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled for January 16, 2027, while the governorship and State House of Assembly elections will hold on February 6, 2027.
Speaking at the peace accord ceremony, INEC Chairman Amupitan said the agreement went beyond symbolism, describing it as an opportunity for political actors to establish acceptable standards for the election before campaign activities intensified.
He said the timing was significant because Wednesday (today) marked the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 elections.
“Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 19, 2026, marks the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 general election.
“Before the first campaign flag is unfurled, before the first rally is staged, and before political rhetoric fills our public space, it is necessary that those who seek to lead this nation first gather to establish the ethical boundaries of their contest,” Amupitan said.

