The youngest son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe was taken into police custody on Thursday following a shooting incident at his residence in South Africa, according to media reports.
Police confirmed they are probing a case of attempted murder after a gardener was shot at a property located in an affluent suburb north of Johannesburg.
Two men were detained for questioning in connection with the incident.
While authorities declined to release the identities of those arrested, several South African news outlets identified one of the individuals as Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe.
Images shared on the X account of IOL News showed the 29-year-old in handcuffs being led away by police officers.
Bellarmine is the youngest son of Robert Mugabe, who ruled Zimbabwe for 37 years before he was removed from office in a 2017 military intervention.
Police said the gardener who was shot remains in critical condition.
“The motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage, and police investigations are underway,” Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said.
Mugabe’s two sons with Grace Mugabe—Robert Jr and Bellarmine—are known to spend time in Johannesburg, where they have attracted media attention in the past.
In 2019, Grace Mugabe faced accusations of assaulting an employee at the family’s Zimbabwe residence in 2017.
Often referred to as “Gucci Grace” due to her extravagant lifestyle, she was also accused of attacking a model with a power cable in Johannesburg that same year.
Robert Jr, 33, appeared before a court in Harare in October last year on charges of cannabis possession, an allegation he denies.

