A medical couple, Dr Auta Gidado and Dr Amina Ahmad, who worked at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Borno State have been killed in a fire incident.
Daily Trust reported that the incident occurred Sunday morning in an apartment where they resided on Lagos Street, Maiduguri.
According to a family source, the husband was caught in the fire while he was trying to rescue his wife. Both were until death employed at the UMTH.
They were both rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of UMTH where Gidado died on Tuesday.
The source noted that Gidado had been buried according to the Islamic rite.
“They were both involved in a fire incident three days ago. May Allah join these two beautiful souls in Jannatul Firdaus,” the source said, adding that Gidado’s wife died Wednesday morning.
“We lost her this morning. It was painful they died suddenly from a mysterious fire outbreak,” the source added.
While confirming the incident, the President of the Association of Resident Doctors, Dr Abdullahi Usman, regretted the sudden death of the couple.
“Yes we lost both of them from a fire outbreak, as we speak nobody can tell you the details but what we were told is that the fire emanated from petrol.
“I wish people would respect the dead. This is a sober moment for us as colleagues,” Abdullah said.