Bandits’ Attack: Death toll rises as Sokoto buries 43 victims

Recall that the assailants had attacked the villagers in the wee hours on November 15, leaving the initial casualties at 13.
Bandits’ Attack: Death toll rises as Sokoto buries 43 victims
Aftermath of bandits attackWuzupNigeria

Following Monday’s attack on villages in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State by bandits, Governor Aminu Tambuwal on Thursday says 43 persons have so far been confirmed dead.

Recall that the assailants had attacked the villagers in the wee hours on November 15, leaving the initial casualties at 13.

A statement issued by the governor's Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Malam Muhammad Bello, on Thursday said the state’s executives had paid a condolence visit to the people of Illela on Wednesday.

“At the time of the governor’s visit on Wednesday, the death toll had risen to 43,’’ Bello stated.

The spokesman also explained that the village head of Kalmalo, one of the five villages affected in the midnight attack, was wounded.

Other villages affected were Munwadata, Sarma, Runji, and Masasa.

Tambuwal reassured the people of Illela that his government and people of Sokoto State felt their grief and extended their condolences.

“This is not a small occurrence. It is upsetting. This incident really touched us,’’ he was quoted as saying.

The governor commended the local government authority, traditional rulers and community leaders for their lawful composition of a volunteer group to work with security operatives in the area.

While appealing to the people not to be daunted by the attacks, Tambuwal assured that the state government would constitute joint operations of volunteers who would work under the supervision of security agencies to enhance security in the area.

Related Stories

No stories found.
WuzupNigeria
wuzupnigeria.ng