LP petitions IGP, DSS over alleged illegal sale of nomination forms

Christian George
3 Min Read

The Labour Party has lodged petitions with the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of State Services over the alleged unauthorised distribution of nomination forms by the party’s former National Chairman, Julius Abure.

Speaking to journalists on Thursday in Abuja during the screening of aspirants ahead of the party primaries, the party’s National Chairman, Senator Nenadi Usman, disclosed that copies of the petitions had also been forwarded to the Independent National Electoral Commission.

Usman described the alleged sale of the forms as illegal, stressing that the leadership produced at the party’s Umuahia national convention remains the officially recognised executive.

“We received the news surprisingly. It was a big surprise because after the court said his (Abure’s) tenure was over, we went to Umuahia, held a national convention and elected new leaders.

“INEC was there and recognised what we did. The names on INEC’s website are those voted for in Umuahia, and then he comes and starts distributing forms,” she said.

Reacting to reports that Abure had appealed to the Supreme Court over the leadership dispute, Usman stated that the party had not yet been served with any notice regarding the matter.

She expressed confidence that the apex court would uphold its earlier decision concerning the party’s leadership tussle.

“My take is that the Supreme Court will maintain its stand. If a court says my tenure is over tomorrow, I cannot go back to say it is not over,” she said.

Usman further alleged that some aspirants had been deceived into purchasing forms that were not officially approved by the party.

“One man came here to tell me his wife was contesting, and when I looked at the form, it was not the form we issued.

“They are deceiving people and it is not right at all,” she said.

On the party’s preparations for the 2027 general elections, the Labour Party chairman said the level of interest shown by aspirants reflected the party’s continued strength and relevance.

“Judging from the number of people indicating interest in using the party as a platform to contest the election, I think the party is still strong,” she said.

She also revealed that three aspirants had already obtained the party’s presidential nomination forms.

Usman reaffirmed the party’s decision to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South, warning northern aspirants against purchasing nomination forms.

“We have decided that our next candidate or flag bearer should come from the South. Anybody from the North who wants to buy forms should not even bother,” she said.

TAGGED:
Share This Article