Connect with us

General

Lekki Shooting: FG threatens to sanction CNN for ‘irresponsible journalism’

Published

Alhaji Lai Mohammed

The Nigerian Government on Thursday said it will sanction CNN for “irresponsible journalism” after the foreign news outfit released its report on the Lekki shooting.

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, made this known on Thursday at a press conference in Abuja. According to him, the briefing was conveyed to address lingering issues regarding the #EndSARS protests for police reform that rocked the nation last month.

MORE READING!  UAE celebrates cooperation with Nigeria as it marks 49th Anniversary

He described the event of October 20, 2020 as a “massacre without bodies”, insisting that not a single body has been produced or a single family has come out to claim their family member was killed at the Lekki tollgate.

The minister alleged that CNN relied on social media videos without verification to produce its report. “This should earn CNN a serious sanction for irresponsible reporting,” Mohammed said.

MORE READING!  Calls for Buhari to resign are cheap, irresponsible - Lai Mohammed

He added that some “unscrupulous persons” including celebrities circulated fake news on the social media that aggravated the violence that trailed the two-week demonstration.

Mohammed also said the government stands by last Saturday’s testimony of the Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo, who told the Judicial Panel of Inquiry instituted by the Lagos State Government that blank bullets were fired at into the skies at the toll gate.

MORE READING!  Yobe: Senate President empowers 300 new wedded couples

He advised persons with evidence on the Lekki shootings to give its testimony before the Lagos panel probing the incident.

CNN had published an investigative report this week claiming soldiers fired live ammunition directly at protesters at the Lekki toll gate.



-->





Trending