The Lagos State Government has reiterated that the October 1 protests must be confined to two designated venues: Freedom Park and Peace Park in the Ojota and Ketu areas of the state.
This announcement comes ahead of planned protests on October 1 to raise awareness about what the organizers call “anti-poor policies” of the federal government.
Speaking on Sunday, Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Lawal Pedro, SAN, emphasized that while Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu supports the public’s right to express their views through peaceful protests, such actions must be carried out within the limits of the law.
“The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, is not opposed to any group of residents expressing their views about any government by way of public protest, as it is their fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution of Nigeria 1999,” Pedro said.
He continued, “However, the right to freedom of speech, association, and assembly is not absolute. It is lawful for the Governor or the Attorney General on his behalf to give directives for maintaining public safety and order during protests.”
A Lagos High Court order restricts protests in Lagos to the two designated parks, and the state government has urged organizers to comply with this order. Pedro noted that street protests could easily be hijacked by criminal elements, which could lead to destruction of property or violence, as seen in previous protests.
“We advise that the organizers should utilize the designated venues in the State for public protest, Freedom Park and Peace Park, where adequate protection and coverage by the press can be provided,” Pedro said.
He further explained that a legal case is still pending in court, seeking a permanent injunction to restrict protests to designated venues. He stressed that protesters must respect the court order, even if it is only an interim injunction.
Pedro urged the organizers to reconsider their plan to hold the protest on the streets of Lagos, reminding them that the rights of other residents and businesses should not be infringed upon.
“The fundamental rights of other people not interested in the protest should not be infringed upon, and the properties or businesses of other people may be destroyed if the protest is hijacked on the streets,” he warned.
The state government reassured protesters that they could still make their voices heard while ensuring public safety by using the designated venues, as seen during the peaceful “End Bad Governance” protest held in Lagos earlier this year.
