Connect with us

Sports

Japanese Osaka withdraws from Wimbledon

Published

Naomi Osaka Karolina Muchova Madrid open



Weeks after the world number two pulled out of the French Open citing struggle with depression and anxiety, Japanese star Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon, her agent confirmed on Thursday.

“Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year,” Osaka’s agent Stuart Duguid said in an email to AFP. “She is taking some personal time with friends and family.

“She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans.”

MORE READING!  Tokyo 2020: Jamaica's Thompson-Herah wins Women's 100m, sets new Olympic record

On Wednesday, Wimbledon organisers said the 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam champion was expected to take part in the championships, which start on June 28.

“At this point in time she’s entered into the championships and we haven’t received confirmation that she won’t compete,” All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton said.

MORE READING!  Somali PM calls for unity to defeat terrorism after footballers' death

Osaka has been in the spotlight since withdrawing from the French Open.

She was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification from Roland Garros after she refused to honour mandatory media commitments.

French Open organisers protested that they had treated her with “care and respect” after they were accused of being heavy-handed.

MORE READING!  Anxiety as AFN awaits details on Okagbare’s doping rule violation

Osaka lost in the third round of Wimbledon in 2017 and 2018 and bowed out in the first round in 2019. Last year’s tournament was cancelled due to coronavirus.

Earlier Thursday, two-time Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal also announced he would be skipping this year’s tournament as well as the Olympics in order “to prolong my career”.

 

 

AFP

Advertisement
Comments



Trending