Infantino told to stay away from youth event over World Cup sell-off

4 Min Read

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has been asked to stay away from a Caribbean youth football tournament. Opposition intensifies over plans to sell a stake in a new World Cup venture to private investors.

According to Sky News, CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani wrote to Infantino on Friday. He asked him to reconsider attending the Caribbean Football Union under-14 tournament in the Dominican Republic. Montagliani warned that Infantino’s presence could overshadow the competition.

CONCACAF chief warns of distraction

Montagliani, who also serves as a FIFA vice-president, said the controversy surrounding the proposed World Cup investment structure had created a governance crisis. He added that the crisis is attracting significant media attention.

He argued that Infantino’s appearance at the youth competition could take attention away from the young players. Additionally, it could distract from the developmental purpose of the tournament.

“I respectfully ask you in the name of football to reconsider your attendance as it will unfortunately undermine the technical nature of this important youth development activity,” Montagliani wrote.

Infantino had reportedly been invited before regional officials became aware of the controversial proposal.

World Cup sell-off plan sparks anger

The dispute centres on plans to sell a 20 per cent stake in a new World Cup venture to private investors.

Details of the proposal reportedly emerged last month. This triggered anger among football officials who said they had not been properly consulted.

CONCACAF subsequently joined the European and Asian football confederations in questioning Infantino’s leadership.

In a joint letter, the confederations described the handling of the proposal as a “fundamental breach of trust.”

They accused the FIFA president of failing to respect the collective structure that had entrusted him with authority.

Pressure grows on FIFA president

The criticism has developed into a wider challenge to Infantino’s position ahead of the next FIFA presidential election.

Football associations including England, Wales and Scotland have withdrawn previous letters endorsing him.

Fan groups have also launched an international campaign demanding his resignation.

The deadline for candidates seeking the FIFA presidency is in November.

Infantino receives mixed regional support

Infantino nevertheless retains backing from some football associations and confederations.

Mexico, one of the hosts of the 2026 World Cup, continues to support him. In contrast, fellow hosts Canada and the United States have criticised his leadership.

South American football body CONMEBOL also remains supportive of the FIFA president. Furthermore, it has pushed for an expansion of the 2030 World Cup to 64 teams.

Infantino arrived in the Dominican Republic on Friday and was welcomed by local officials in Punta Cana.

He was also photographed with Dominican Republic Football Association president Jose Deschamps.

However, when questioned by Sky News about the growing criticism and calls for his resignation, Infantino did not directly address concerns about his future.

FIFA funding adds another dimension

FIFA provides millions of dollars in development funding to the Dominican Republic, much of it generated through World Cup revenues.

That financial relationship has added another layer to the controversy surrounding Infantino’s visit.

For CONCACAF leadership, however, the immediate concern is keeping the youth tournament focused on football. They do not want the widening dispute over FIFA governance to dominate attention.

FIFA had yet to publicly respond to Montagliani’s request at the time of the report.

Share This Article
Exit mobile version