Connect with us


I’m finished, says father of guard killed by policeman in Rivers


Seven months after redeployment, policemen protest unpaid remuneration in Katsina

A civilian security guard hired by a company at Abonnema Wharf in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been gunned down by a police officer.

The father to the deceased, Innocent Gbaraka, said that he will kill himself if justice is not served against the police officer who is attached to the Marine Department.

Gbaraka said, “I am finished”, as he insisted that his life amounted to nothing without his “only hope”, adding, “if not that my wife stopped me, I would have hanged myself”.

The deceased identified as Gospel is said to have been killed at his place of work on Sunday.

Narrating how he got the sad news, Gbaraka said: “I was in church when somebody came to call me that my son, who left for work, had been killed. I thought it was a joke. He took me to UPTH where I saw my son in uniform lying dead.

MORE READING!  Missing US baby found dead in canal days after disappearance

“When I asked the supervisor of the company what happened, he said a policeman working in the same company with my son shot him dead. I don’t know what my son did that he killed him.

“I don’t have anything to say than let justice prevail. I don’t have anybody that is why I am crying for a boy I suffered to train. I am finished. He was my only hope.

“If not for my wife I would have hanged myself because I don’t know what I am doing here again. I will hang myself if justice does not prevail,” he cried.

MORE READING!  Ogun woman kidnapped at home, police launch chase

Meanwhile, the Ogoni Youths Federation (OYF) has demanded that an investigation be carried out and justice served over Gospel’s death.

According to a statement signed by the President-General, Legborsi Yamaabana, the youths were in shock at the manner their brother was killed.

Yamaabana said: “The Ogoni Youth Federation (OYF) worldwide today Sunday 22nd November 2020 received the distressing and shocking news of the extra-judicial murder of one of its youths and shining lights, Mr. Gospel Gbaraka at the hands of a gun-wielding member of the Nigerian Police Force, one Inspector James, serving at the Marine Base Police Station in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, now being detained at the Mile One Police Station.

MORE READING!  Police arrest two over stabbing at Niger wedding

“Gospel Gbaraka was on duty at his security post this morning. The said Inspector James is also a police security personnel attached to the company.

“There was no altercations, riot, or crisis situation at the company involving groups of persons requiring the use of live bullets to disperse crowds, neither was there any existing problem between the deceased and Inspector James.

“As a youth body, we are incredibly pained that the life of this young man has been taken, particularly now that Nigeria is at a crossroad and the world has been awoken to the demands of #EndSars protesters whose focal point is to end the recurring decimal of police brutality and extrajudicial killings.”