Gunmen invade Kogi church, abduct pastor, congregation

Juliet Anine
2 Min Read

The Kogi State Government has confirmed an attack on a Cherubim and Seraphim Church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area, in the early hours of Sunday.

The Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo, confirmed the incident in a statement issued in Lokoja. He condemned the attack and said efforts were already underway to rescue the victims.

Gunmen reportedly stormed the church during a service and abducted the pastor, his wife, and several worshippers. The incident caused panic in the community, with many residents fleeing for safety.

Fanwo said the attackers may have been hiding within the community or in nearby bushes before striking. He noted that some villagers might have seen suspicious movements but failed to report them.

He said, “Those who struck at Ejiba must have been hiding in the community for some days or in bushes around the village. Some villagers would have seen them and kept quiet.”

He added that worshipping in remote locations without security was risky, especially weeks after a similar attack on worshippers in Kwara State.

Fanwo urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities. He also advised avoiding gatherings in unsecured places and reducing unnecessary travel, especially around danger-prone areas.

“It’s easy to blame the government, but those suffering in the hands of these attackers are our people. When you see something, say something,” he said.

Fanwo explained that both the state government and Yagba West authorities had been working to address security concerns in the border community. He noted that Ejiba had faced similar challenges in the past, yet some worship centres still operate in isolated areas.

He assured that security agencies had taken strong steps to ensure the safe rescue of the abducted victims.

The commissioner encouraged residents to prioritise safety and share intelligence that could help prevent further attacks.

Share This Article