Gunman killed after opening fire near White House

3 Min Read
President Donald Trump participates in a video teleconference call with members of the military on Thanksgiving, Thursday, Nov. 26, 2020, at the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

 

A gunman was shot dead by Secret Service officers after he opened fire near the White House on Saturday evening, officials have confirmed.

The suspect has been named as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man who was known to the Secret Service and had a documented history of mental health conditions.

Shortly before 6pm local time on Saturday, the man pulled a gun from his bag and began firing outside the White House at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

Secret Service officers returned fire, striking the gunman. He was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. A bystander was also wounded in the shooting, but no officers were injured.

President Donald Trump was at the White House at the time, but the Secret Service said no protectees or operations were impacted.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump thanked the Secret Service for their swift and professional action in apprehending the gunman, who he said had a violent history and possible obsession with the country’s most cherished structure.

The shooting comes just one month after a gunman opened fire at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

A source familiar with the investigation told US media that Best had tried to gain entry to the White House in July 2025 and was arrested near it by the Secret Service, after which he spent time in a psychiatric facility. He had been living in Washington DC for 18 months.

After the shots were heard, reporters at the White House were rushed into a briefing room. Some had been filming when the incident occurred, and shots could be heard in the distance as they spoke to camera.

One reporter described being on the North Lawn when he could hear the gunshots, at points sounding like they were coming from different guns just outside the grounds.

He said as soon as they heard it, they ducked down and started to see other reporters running. Secret Service officers were heard saying “get inside, get inside.” Reporters were then locked down in the press briefing room for about 30 minutes.

Senate Majority Leader John Thune said he was grateful for the Secret Service agents’ decisive action to protect the president. House Speaker Mike Johnson said on social media that they are grateful for the brave Secret Service agents who took quick, decisive action to protect President Trump, and offered prayers for the victims of the shooting for a speedy recovery.

The incident remains under investigation, and road closures around the White House will likely stay in place overnight.

 

Share This Article
Exit mobile version