Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, triggering an exchange of gunfire with his security personnel.
According to The Punch, the shooting lasted between 12 and 15 minutes after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The governor had arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
Gunfire erupts after palace meeting
An eyewitness said Adeleke had presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch before prayers were offered for him.
The governor had already left the hall and entered the vehicle conveying him and some close aides when heavy gunfire suddenly erupted around the palace.
The witness said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” the eyewitness said.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
Attackers reportedly damage palace gate
A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the assailants appeared to have known about the governor’s visit and may have been waiting in the area.
She said the attackers damaged the main gate of the palace and fired shots towards it before being pushed back by security personnel.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him,” she said.
“They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.”
According to her, the attackers later engaged security personnel near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
Residents flee as shooting sparks panic
The exchange of gunfire caused panic around the palace as traders abandoned their goods and residents ran for safety.
Several businesses in the area were hurriedly closed amid fears that the violence could spread.
Sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the vicinity as of about 4:45pm.
Osun government confirms attack
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that the governor’s convoy came under attack.
Alimi said Adeleke’s security team successfully repelled the suspected hoodlums and confirmed that no casualty was recorded.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
The incident came just days after Adeleke secured re-election in the Osun governorship election and received his Certificate of Return from INEC.
