A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, has identified the problem of Nigerian graduates who complain about lack of employment.
The Nigerian rights activist made this know in a statement via his official Twitter handle on Monday evening.
In a series of tweets, Omokri opined that skill acquisition is a killer of poverty, adding that companies lookout for skilled workers and not degree holders.
Speaking to those who expect jobs from the society, Omokri said that the only job they’re owed is the one they create with their skills.
“Graduates who complain of unemployment, are those without skills, but with the mentality that society owes them a job because they are graduates. The only job you are owed is the one you create with your skill. If you don’t have skills, go and learn some.
“If you have a degree you can still be poor. If you don’t have a degree, you can still be rich. But if you have a degree and a skill, you can hardly be poor. Nothing kills poverty like skills. Companies are looking for skilled workers, not degree workers.”
According to the National Bureau of Statistics, the rate of unemployment in Nigeria as at the second quarter of 2020 is 27.1% indicating that about 21,764,614 (21.7 million) Nigerians remain unemployed. while a combined date of unemployment and underemployment rate (28.6%) in the country stands at 55.7%.
Nigeria ranks seventh on theglobval ranking of the largest population in the world with an estimate of 207,922,463 as of Monday, November 9, 2020, according to Worldometer.
Gbolagade Busari, ex-3SC chair is dead
Wizkid wins 2020 BET Soul Train Awards [See the full list of winners]
Boko Haram: Slain rice farmers didn’t have clearance to farm, says presidency
I sincerely regret my actions, Twitter influencer Motara begs after mocking child beggar
Nigerian men will always disgrace you, lady reacts to wedding of young man and white woman
Onuachu hails Genk’s team mates for scoring form
1,279 trained Afghan youth including 200 women join army
Rita Ora accused of breaking lockdown rules during 30th birthday party
#EndSARS: We can’t guarantee security during Christmas period – DPO
PHOTOS: Lady transforms self to look like BBNaija’s Ozo
‘Una go die,’ BBNaija’s Nengi shades ‘haters’ over political appointment
Obasanjo heads to Ethiopia for mediation
Man, 70, impregnates granddaughter in Ogun
Three congregants drown during church baptism ceremony in South Africa
Kasala don burst! Sidechic calls police to arrest married lover for seizing iPhone he bought her
Social media regulation: Shehu Sani slams northern govs
VIDEO: Reviews of Cele prophet jailed for fraud, influencer mocking child beggar, other
VIDEO: Passengers furious as Kaduna-Abuja train breaks down at 2am
VIDEO: I need to know why Civil Defence officer killed my DSS agent husband – Wife
VIDEO: Prison officials, motorcyclists clash in Ibadan
VIDEO: I was in prison for six weeks because I tried to commit suicide – Ex-hospital porter
VIDEO: Policemen shot my only 20-year-old son, seized his corpse – Mom
VIDEO: Don’t kiss o, don’t spoil my makeup, bride tells groom on wedding day
Lekki Shootings: DJ Switch will be exposed as a fraud – Lai Mohammed (VIDEO)
- Metro21 hours ago
Boy, 19, dies during romp with prostitute in Lagos
- Entertainment17 hours ago
Eniola Badmus attacked by troll after sharing bikini photo
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Why my husband told me not to photoshop my picture – Omotola
- Sports21 hours ago
Tyson vs. Jones Jr: Furious fans lambaste judges
- News23 hours ago
Police arrest drunk inspector in Abuja
- General17 hours ago
Edo teachers threaten strike over unpaid allowances, others
- Sports16 hours ago
Ex-Senegalese midfielder, Papa Bouba Diop dies at 42
- Metro21 hours ago
Gunmen kill seven, burn houses in fresh Southern Kaduna attacks