The Federal Government has announced that it will not proceed with the planned closure of Eko Bridge in Lagos State, reversing an earlier decision following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, made the disclosure during an inspection of the bridge on Tuesday.
“We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge. He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians,” Umahi said.
The minister said his team reassessed the strength of the bridge and confirmed that the closure could be suspended for now.
“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the President’s directive. Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe. We have agreed on three procedures.”
According to Umahi, the first procedure is not to close the bridge now but to monitor the progression or otherwise of the crack. He said the crack was not progressing either arithmetically or geometrically at the moment.
“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but a crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” he added.
The minister also said there would be remedial work on the bridge, including additional piling and a pie cap to bypass the cracked section. That work could be carried out within four months.
Umahi thanked Tinubu for his efforts to advance Nigeria, assuring that the President means well and deserves prayers and support.
