Nigerian youths will breathe freely after the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, on Sunday announced that dismissal of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The announcement comes after days of protests across major cities in the country against police brutality in the country.
“The Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force otherwise known as SARS is hereby dissolved in all the 36 State Police Commands and the Federal Capital Territory,” Amadu said in a live broadcast on Sunday.
Having dissolved the killer SARS unit from the Nigeria Police Force, here are five important things you should know as detailed by DCP Frank Mba:
- The Inspector-General of Police has dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across all the Thirty-Six (36) State Commands and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) with immediate effect.
- All officers and men serving in the Unit will be redeployed to other Police Commands, Formations and Units.
- A new policing arrangement for tackling the offences of Armed-Robbery and other violent crimes will be unveiled to the public soon.
- A Citizens and Strategic Stakeholders Forum will be launched to provide an avenue for citizens to regularly interface and advise the police authority on issues touching on the general public.
- To deal with the report of crimes committed against citizens, an Investiga-tive Team will be constituted which will include Civil Society Organisations and culprits will be punished.
British Special Forces arrest suspected Nigerian stowaways for threatening ship crew- reports
Lekki shooting: Body of victim not with us, we have no mortuary – St. Nicholas
Lekki shooting: DJ Switch should not be questioned – Femi Fani-Kayode
Don’t expect palliatives if you sold your votes – Junior Pope
I will never support, campaign for any APC, PDP member again – Iyabo Ojo
EndSARS protests, a fundamental lesson in democratic governance BY Bola Tinubu
Hoodlums attack Complete Sports head office, injure two
I detest dirty begging, Reno Omokri blasts Twitter user
VIDEO: Bride flees on wedding day after discovering groom slept with her friend
Adeboye speaks against Nigeria borrowing money, says country may choke
What Chioma did that made me decide to marry her – Davido
BBNaija: Why I allowed Laycon to rock me instead of Ozo – Nengi
VIDEO: Police station in Ogun vandalized by alleged EndSARS protesters
Man jailed for puncturing condom before having s3x with woman
Ondo election: Eyitayo Jegede arrives polling unit with wife
Military kills scores of bandits in Katsina
VIDEO: Hoodlums Invade Ibadan senator’s residence, cart away 300 motorcycles
VIDEO: Crowd loots COVID-19 palliatives in Osun
#EndSARS: DJ Switch recounts horrific experience during Lekki shooting
VIDEO: Panic as Hausa, Yoruba youths clash at Fagba, Lagos
VIDEO: Youths protect Agugu police station in Ibadan from being attacked
VIDEO: Buhari laments loss of lives, mum on Lekki shootings
VIDEO: We are at a critical moment, Buhari must act now before it is too late – Obasanjo
VIDEO: Hoodlums, residents loot COVID-19 palliatives in Mazamaza
- Politics22 hours ago
350 motorcycles, 400 deep freezers, 350 generators, others looted from my house – Senator Teslim Folarin
- Specials20 hours ago
#EndSARS: SoroSoke Generation – Why We Protested
- Politics21 hours ago
Lekki Protesters: Your vain ambition to rule Nigeria will never happen, Fani-Kayode tells Tinubu
- Specials19 hours ago
My dear Asiwaju Tinubu… BY Femi Fani-Kayode
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Chioma tattoos son’s name, Ifeanyi, on her wrist
- Metro13 hours ago
Looting: Perpetrators are no miscreants, we created them, Donald Duke tells Nigerian leaders
- General22 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lekki Massacre is real, Reno Omokri insists
- Sports15 hours ago
Formula One: Hamilton wears #EndSARS T-shirt for pre-race interview