EFCC lifts restriction on Osun govt’s accounts

2 Min Read

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has removed the restriction placed on the bank accounts of the Osun State Government.

The accounts were frozen shortly before the August 15, 2026, governorship election in the state.

According to Premium Times, the development was confirmed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, who said the accounts had been released.

Ajayi added that an aide to Governor Ademola Adeleke had also confirmed that the restriction on the accounts was no longer in place.

“The restriction has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately. If it was not lifted, the Osun State Government would have made it a campaign issue.

“The fact that they are not talking about it shows it has been done. The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” Ajayi said.

The EFCC had, on August 5, 2026, frozen the Osun State Government’s accounts domiciled with First Bank, 10 days before the governorship election.

The action sparked criticism among Nigerians, with some condemning the decision as oppressive, particularly because Governor Adeleke is not a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

Following the controversy, President Bola Tinubu, on August 6, directed the EFCC to immediately vacate the court order that had authorised the freezing of the Osun State Government’s accounts.

Share This Article
Exit mobile version